Author Topic: Water - when and how much? 6mo on formula  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Water - when and how much? 6mo on formula
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:22:12 am »
Dears,

I have just switched from BF to FF, LO is just turning 6mo and we are introducing small amounts of solids. I should start to give him water between meals if I am right but can someone suggest when is the best moment and how much should I give him? I am afraid that if he gets too much and too close to milk feed, he will not be interested in full milk feed. Feed times are as in 4h EASY so 7, 11, 15 and 18:30. He naps very shortly between 9:30-10:00 and than a long nap 1:00-3:00pm or 2 shorter ones (13:00-14:00 and than 16:30-17:00).

TIA!
~Marta

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Water - when and how much? 6mo on formula
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:47:45 am »
I would just offer water in a sippy with solids, and have it available between meals if he wants it.  It's unusual to have the problem of LO taking so much water they refuse milk or solids - to be honest most LOs will only take a couple of sips when first starting out until their milk intake has significantly reduced at 12 months+

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:12:48 am »
He is not yet interested in a sippy cup but I am trying:).

We have milk at 3pm and after his catnap at 4:30-5pm I think he would be interested in water. But was afraid to give it to him (or give to much) as I wouldn't like him reducing his milk at 6:30-7:00pm. However after what you wrote, I guess that 1oz more than 1h before milk shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks!
~Marta

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 14:32:44 pm »
For most/lots of LOs it can take a while (few months) really before they get the hang of sippy cups and are drinking a significant amount. H just has few sips with meals at the moment  but I think it's more the novelty rather than thirst that makes her want to drink it. She doesn't take much at all and really gets all the fluids she needs from her milk.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 16:04:04 pm »
I agree with offering alongside solids meals (and later on alongside snacks when they are introduced), mine never took a drink at any other time so it was pointless having a drink around between solids and milk feeds.  In the early days I offered a sippy cup of water but also had a bottle of water available to ensure he could get sufficient water when he needed it during his meal as he wasn't yet so comfortable with the sippy cup (in fact in the very early days of introducing solids he also needed a small drink of milk in a bottle immediately after the solids despite having had his milk feed an hour earlier. This didn't last very long but he was very insistent that he needed it and I didn't see harm in having a bit more milk).

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 11:24:41 am »
Thank you ladies. I am asking as a common opinion in Poland is that baby on formula should drink a lot of water between meals. And if they don't they should be encouraged by mixing water with juice, which I don't want to do. So it is encouraging that you say that it is fine if he drinks mainly milk (even formula) and only couple sips of water!
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 12:20:12 pm »
I could be wrong here but I think in the past formula may not have been so advanced as it is now and babies on formula perhaps did need some water between feeds. I think this has led to (mainly from previous generations) the belief that formula fed babies need more water. Modern formula is well balanced these days though.   Changing guidelines can be confusing and not everyone will know the most recent guides.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 12:40:55 pm »
Thanks Creations!

Ha! I just opened a bottle of baby juice I had bought to give to DS mixed with water to encourage him to drink more. Will drink it by myself:p.
~Marta