Author Topic: Change of formula after 6mo  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:47:13 pm »
I feel like have been posting with questions constantly recently but 6mo seems to me an age when so many things change in feeding for LOs!

We are changing formula from 0-6 to over 6 right now. We were using a lower-lactose product for babies who have problems with consticipation until now. I would like to switch to a normal formula but also have to switch to formula "over 6m". So I decided to buy couple of cans of powdered lower-lactose product and firstly make a switch to "over 6m" and in couple of weeks/month I would switch to normal powdered formula (I will use the same brand).

And tips or advice on what should I think about? Or is changing between formulas easy and I just change the powder:)?
~Marta

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Change of formula after 6mo
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:54:47 pm »
If it is the same type and brand I would just change the powder over...we swapped to the next stage one like that with no issues. The thing with lactose is that while it is certainly possible for a baby to be lactose intolerant it is much more common for them to be intolerant to the actual milk protiens so it is most likely not an issue since he takes a dairy based formula already. Is he constipated regularly though? Is that new since starting formula? It can be a sign of mpi.
Heidi

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 13:52:00 pm »
Hi Heidi, thanks for answers. Frankly speaking it's more of a coincidence... I must say. He was exclusively breastfed when little but I bought one can of powdered formula just to have it at home for any case. As he was a bit colic when little (now I think his colic-like behaviors are more connected with him being spirited touchy and quickly OS) I was trying to make sure I do everything not to worse the situation or make his tummy-problem bigger (so this formula). It's not a specific only-for-prescription product (called Bebilon Comfort instead of normal Bebilon) so I hope there won't be big problems with switching. My befriended GP told me however firstly to switch to next stage formula and than change for normal one, so not to make both changes at once.
~Marta

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 15:32:19 pm »
You can stay on the 0-6 formula for the whole of the first year, you don't have to change. The 6 month+ formulas contain more iron and can be harder to digest so can make some babies constipated which is worth keeping an eye on.

We tried to switch DS but it didn't suit him so switched back to the stage 1 formula. The 6 month+ formulas were developed for marketing reasons really as many countries don't allow advertising of milks for babies under 6 months because of breastfeeding levels falling.

I think if you are switching from a lactose free to normal I would do that very slowly first, I would probably stick with a stage 1 normal formula after that.

Laura

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 16:39:02 pm »
Good to know when I have already bought 12 cans...:/ ehh, nevermind - I will use the stock I have and will start to transfer him to normal formula.

The one I use is not lactose-free but lower in lactose... The more I think of what you said, the more I understand that is also probably a marketing trick! Ahhh!
~Marta

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 17:12:46 pm »
Yup it is all marketing. Here they are not supposed to advertise for formula meant for up to 12 months so they have follow on milks for toddlers too. We used a 900g can per week once she was fully on formula (32oz per day) so it will go fast!
Heidi