Author Topic: can milk supply suddenly change or diminish?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline BabyGeorgia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
can milk supply suddenly change or diminish?
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:49:23 am »
My dd is 15 weeks old and had been sleeping through until 5am every night for a few weeks. For the last week, however, she has started waking between 3am and 4am for a feed. The wake times are always different, but always within this time frame.

I'm concerned that something might have happened to my milk that's leaving her hungrier. She has always been agood feeder and we've never had problems with latching etc.

We've ensured that dd is warm, rested, following the usual routine and tanked up before bed. She fed for over an hour solid before bed last night and her feeds are getting longer during the day too.

When waking at night we have tried sush pat, checked nappy and even tried calpol as I'm certain she is teething, but she is definitely hungry. Last night she fed for 30 mins; the night before it was for 45 minutes. Once fed she happily sleeps for another 3 hours.

I realise this is somewhat a sleep question too, but my main concern is over my milk. I will happily repost in the sleep forum too.

Is it possible for my milk to become less filling? Is it possible that my milk may be drying up? My diet hasn't really changed over the lat few weeks, but a close relative is very poorly at the moment ands I'm not sure if the stress might be affecting things?

I don't want to just switch dd onto bottle if it's unnecessary,  however I hate the thought that my milk isn't giving her what she needs any more.

All thoughts welcome xxx

Offline BabyGeorgia

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: can milk supply suddenly change or diminish?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:30:06 am »
Ps, this was a typical daily routine prior to this week:

E - 5am
S - 5.30am
E - 7.30am
A - 8am
S - 9.15am
E - 10.15am
A - 10.45am
S - 12.30am
E - 1.30pm
A - 2pm
S - 4pm - 4.30pm snooze
E - 5pm
Bath
E - 7pm - 7.45pm
Bedtime at 8pm

We'd stuck to this for about 3-4 weeks.

Offline BabyGeorgia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:47:27 am »
I've just had to do a two-sided feed for the first time. Prior to today, dd had plenty enough milk just from one breast.  :(

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 10:18:13 am »
Has your period come back yet? Hormonal changes can affect your milk supply- but it usually lasts for a few days or perhaps a week then normalises. I would think that if all other things are pretty even then it would be unlikely that your milk is drying up- perhaps a growth spurt?

Also- bubs usually start needing milk from both breasts at each feed- sometimes before 15 weeks. Babies are pretty good at knowing when they are done- so i would start offering both sides at every feed- she will stop when she's had enough. 
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline BabyGeorgia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:31:18 am »
No period as yet, but maybe if these changes can last a week I will wait and see how the next few days pan out. I realise she's still doing incredibly well, but a step in the wrong direction starts sounding alarm bells! x

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:35:01 am »
Try not to worry too much- Keep offering both sides and it might sort out the night waking. Your period can come back at any point- especially if she has started sleeping through the night- mine came back at about 6 or 8 weeks despite exclusive breastfeeding!! I felt well and truly cheated!! See how you go in the next few days and it might even out..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:52:00 am »
ITA with Katy.

Is it possible for my milk to become less filling? Is it possible that my milk may be drying up? My diet hasn't really changed over the lat few weeks,
I would say categorically no to something changing with you :) 

Really, don't worry, it sounds like LO is doing really really well. What's probably happening is that she's growing. With exclusively BF babies, NFs can come and go throughout the first year as they go through intensive phases of growth, these can last a week or two.  The important thing is that you respond and feed her when she needs it, which is what you're doing.  If you consistently offer both breasts at each feed, as Katy says, then you will giving her the chance to fill herself up really well during the day, and she may be less hungry at night.  Both of these things will boost your supply a bit, so it's a win-win, she gets more milk, you make more milk.  No worries.  :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 13:13:06 pm »
Agreeing with the others - DS (11weeks) has done exactly this in the last few days, having always been very content to feed single-sided and go a decent stretch between feeds previously.  Just go with it and trust your body to do what it does best :)

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 14:56:17 pm »
Also agreeing it sounds like everything is fine with your supply. All three of mine have gone to two sided feeding somewhere around 3-4mo. Keep up the good work!

Offline BabyGeorgia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 22:05:54 pm »
Thanks everyone for your kind words of support and encouragement! xxx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 22:20:06 pm »
Your LO is also prime age for the 4mo growth spurt :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline BabyGeorgia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 06:55:55 am »
Your LO is also prime age for the 4mo growth spurt :)

That's really interesting to know. I actually gave her a bottle before bed last night, just to see if it made any difference (and through slight exhaustion/desperation). Dd took 9ozs without stopping... and then still woke up at 3am and bf for 45 mins!

It's been going on for over a week and a half now. She's feeding every 2.5 hours and each time for at least 35 mins, but normally 45. Am getting quite tired now as also have a toddler.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:48:13 am »
Yes I remember those days. It can every tiring. It doesn't last forever though so hang in there.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011