Author Topic: 9 month old suddenly waking up crying between 12.30-3am every night  (Read 3610 times)

Offline katkniep

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Hi :)

My 9 month old has in the last week suddenly started waking up between 12.30-3am.
We weaned her off her NF about a month or 2 ago without problem - she stopped stirring/waking for it.

- In the last 2 weeks, every night she wakes crying, really crying. My hubby has to pick her up to console her and then she stops. She doesn't really wake up, it's like she's crying in her sleep.
- She's gotten a new tooth in the last 2 weeks, which we thought was the problem, and i think she's getting another one now.
- I think she's starting to get seperation anxiety and she's starting to move around on her feet holding onto furniture.

- She gets a bottle every 4 hours and we are still doing the DF - she's a big baby and has always had an above average appetite!

- Her naps however are not consistent, some days she sleeps 3 times 36 mins, some days one 1.5 and another 35 mins - I have accepted that's just how she is and work her day around the sleep. She likes to have a shorter first A time also, but on average they are between 3-3.30 hours.

Sample Easy looks like this (the 2 hour nap here is not normal) :

6.40 A
7.00 E
8.30 Brekkie
09.10 S
10.30 A
11.00 E
12.30 Lunch
14.40 E
15.00 S
17.10 A
17.30 Dinner
18.50 E
19.50 E
20.05 S
22.30 DF

I hope someone can help! My poor hubby is like a zombie with these night wakings and i don't want to take over again ;)

Kat

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: 9 month old suddenly waking up crying between 12.30-3am every night
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:26:30 am »
Hi Kat,

Do you think this could be developmental? :-\ 8-10 months is a bit of a crazy time for them and I think I remember my boys going through similar crazy long angry miserable NW.

Have a read of this? - what do you think?
http://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/8-9-10-month-old-baby-sleep-regression/

Other thought is teething....do you medicate at the NW or at BT?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 19:40:02 pm »
Hi kat!

Just wanted to mention aswell that your lo's first A time seem quite low for his age. When my dd was 5-12 months, a long stretch of A in the night always meant i needed to push her A times in the day. Also the nap length (the first nap) in your sample indicates undertired so i would definatley push that first A time. Without looking at the info on a post on here, i believe the average A at 9 months is between 3.5 to 4hrs. This is what you should be aiming for.

Then that second A seems far too long.

Do you think you could try and work on the day looking something like this for now & then possibly tweaking once you have got into the swing -

Wu 6.40

Nap 1 - 9.45 (say nap is 1.5hr)

Nap 2 - 2.15 (for 1.5hr)

Bed at 7pm.

I think once you get that first A time right for lo the rest of the day will piece together as with a right first A time, the nap will be a good one. Then with the A time push& two good naps your night should settle down. Hope this makes sense!

Jody
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 19:41:37 pm by Jodes112 »
Jody
 xx

Offline katkniep

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 20:09:17 pm »
Hi :)

Sorry for the late reply!! And thank you both for your help! Funnily enough, she's increased her first A time now to a min of 3.5 hours, but still getting that short nap! Will try pushing it out a bit more.
And to the night wakings, i think the teething was/is the problem, i'm using various things to help the teething and she gets a bit of gel just before bed, will do it as well with the NWs. Maybe it is a mixture of everything at once though - dev and teething ;)

I'm also getting suspicious she wants to move to 1 nap as well, we couldn't get her in bed until 9.15pm today! :(
Kat x

Offline BabyY

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 21:33:28 pm »
Hi Katkniep - just wondering if there's been any improvement in your situation, what's helping and what's working on resettling your LO after the NW? Im going through the same thing with my 9.5 mo and am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do  :(

Offline katkniep

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:40:01 am »
Hi,

We carry her and rock her gently in our arms, she usually stops crying as soon as she's been picked up and is never really awake, or falls back to sleep immediately. It's happened the last 2 nights again after a week or so of perfect sleep, i'm so sure it's teething!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 09:11:34 am »
Sounds like teething to me too :-\ and that's also how I dealt with those silly NW at that age unless I was worried they had become a prop ie week or two of consistent wakings etc.

You could be close to 1 nap. Has she always been LSN?
What are her nap lengths and A times ATM? (In eas) x
***Sara***

Offline katkniep

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 05:42:39 am »
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. She's had her first major cold all week and has had muliple night wakings, she wakes crying unconsolably about 6 times a night.
I think i'll have to start a post on getting back on track and then come back to this one if it happens again :)

Many thanks for your help

Kat x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:19:03 am »
Poor wee thing. Lots of hugs
***Sara***

Offline katkniep

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 08:43:43 am »
Thank you! The "why me" eyes are heartbreaking!

Kat