Author Topic: 9 month old schedule for food/ nursing  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Clairemary

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 18, 2014, 23:58:48 pm »
Hi I just went to 9 month check up today and our pediatrian said I should be feeding Claire foods first and BFing second?  I am very confused and sad because I truly enjoy BFing.  I also was confused and wondered about a schedule as I BF Claire 4x a day and feed her food 3 x a day.  I came across a typical schedule posted on this site via a link but I am unable to find it.

Claire wakes up about 6:30 / BF her
 - about an hour later I give her breakfast ( cereal and fruit)
- nap 9-10:30 ish
-  bF at 11:00/11:30
- lunch about 12:15 ( vegtable or fruit maybe meat)
- nap 1:00/1:30-2:30
- BF about 3
- dinner 4:30/5:00 ( eats a lot plus some puffs)
- 6:30/6:45 BFing to sleep
( sleeps through the night)

Any help would be appreciated.  I enjoy BFing but also want to provide the best nutrition for Claire.  I am worried by changing food to first I will lose my milk supply and have to bive up BFing something I am certainly not happy about. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 9 month old schedule for food/ nursing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:34:11 am »
Your routine looks great!! :)

Advice varies from country to country and person to person, even 2 professionals in the same office can have different opinions on when baby should be fed. It's so confusing isn't it?

You'll find there are very many mums here who did not give solids before milk (whether BF or FF) and never had any need to. I would say you are totally fine to continue as you are as your LO is taking solids fine. If a LO isn't taking solids and is approaching 12 months (when solids become the primary food source) then looking at the balance of milk/solids and the timings would be useful, but otherwise I think you are safe to enjoy your BF and weaning journey just as you are :)

In general LOs will begin to take less milk in 1 or more feeds at some point (age varies, say around 9 or 10 months) and this would be an indication to drop 1 of the day feeds to keep the other feeds up, that day milk feed would be switched to a solids snack with a sippy cup of water (leaving 3 proper milk feeds, 3 solids meals and 1 snack), later still the other day feed would switch to a snack (leaving 2 milk feeds usually WU and BT, 3 meals, 2 snacks).
Some mums like to continue to offer BF on-demand and for longer, that is of course your choice.

Hope this sets your mind to rest.

Offline Clairemary

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 19:12:06 pm »
Thank you!  Your advice eases my mind and is much appreciated!  Your site has been especially helpful
For me!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 20:48:00 pm »
:)