Author Topic: Tips for raw nipple?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Tips for raw nipple?
« on: August 19, 2014, 19:54:37 pm »
For the most part my 6mo hasn't been biting me much and I've been able to teach him not to until yesterday! :( He leaned in and chomped down soooooo hard. I have a perfect incision from one of his teeth (he has 6).

How can I help it heal? I basically sobbed my way through each feeding today, because the suction was making it feel worse. I am really loathing breastfeeding right now and soooo tempted to throw in the towel.  :-[

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Tips for raw nipple?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 20:02:46 pm »
Can you get Lansinoh over there, or anything similar?  http://www.lansinoh.co.uk. Big hugs, it sounds so sore :(

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 22:33:03 pm »
Oh you poor thing  :'( I know exactly your pain as this is why and when I stopped BFing my first son. I now regret it. I would say that lansinoh would be great, rubbing BM into your nipple and allowing it to air dry, and if you really feel it needs to heal without feeding, I'd suggest pumping for feeds from that side for day/  couple of days until you feel somewhat improved.
THINK before you decide to stop BFing for this reason - did you have a timeline in mind of when you might stop? Also remember, if you stop like this, you will be in a whole other world of pain with having stopped so suddenly (engorgement, possible/ probable rusk of mastitis, ...)
(((Gentle hugs)))   

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:18:21 am »
You all ready have great advice from pps so I'll just second that advice and add hugs and healing vibes.

ETA I found using nipple shields for a week or two really helped stop the pain during feeding when I had split nipples.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:21:12 am by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011