Author Topic: Is it time to drop the DF?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline tachaorama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is it time to drop the DF?
« on: August 19, 2014, 20:53:02 pm »
So I have multiple issues that I am working on. But one thing I am contemplating is if it is time for us to drop the dream feed.

My reasons for thinking it's time to drop:

1) It seems more often then not my son is waking during the dream feed, or when my DH goes to put him back into bed. I can guarantee that if he wakes for DH, he will be waking around 4, 5, and 6. He is not waking out of hunger, he's just waking up. And sometimes stays awake for 1-1.5 hrs smiling at me (I am working on his A time in case that is part of the issue).

2) He went from consistently draining the 6 oz bottle of formula to maybe drinking 4 - 5 oz (and it's a struggle sometimes to get him to do that). Or sometimes not even wanting to eat it, so then my DH not knowing what to do, waits and goes back in at 11:30 to see if he wants it then.

3) He has no appetite in the morning for his 7am feed. Again, went from eagerly eating 6oz bottle at 7am to begrudgingly eating 3-4 oz.

4) He started on solids just over 5months. He's now almost 6.5 months. So we are up to 3 solid meals a day (HE LOVES SOLIDS). He's having a couple oz at each meal. Is this considered "well established"?

Also, as far as the waking for dream feed is concerned, we had been doing it at 10:30p but found that he wouldn't wake up to eat. So my poor husband would try to gently wake him enough to get interested and that would just wake him up 100%. So we moved it to 11 and that was working wonderfully until a couple weeks ago (probably around the time we got up to 3 meals a day).

Last night is typical of how things have been lately. In bed at 7:30p. DH went in to do DF at 11pm. DS woke during the feed (flailing arms, smacking at bottle). Barely ate 5 oz. DH tried resettling him, couldn't get him to settle. So woke me up at 12:36am, I resettled him (took 1/2 hour). Then he woke up crying at 4:50am, 5:57am, and 6:50am. I have been awake since 4:50am. At 7am he ate 4 oz.

So what do you folks think? Time to drop the DF? Do I just cut it cold turkey since lately it's a struggle to get him to eat it? Or drop down slowly like Tracey suggests?

TIA! Also, I see on the side bar "show appreciation" how do I do this? I definitely appreciate the help i have received.
Toodles,
Tacha

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Is it time to drop the DF?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 19:16:47 pm »
If it's a struggle t get him to drink it then I would stop offering and see how he does. If he wakes and is hungry you could offer a small feed if you chose to. If he isn't wanting it could well be that it is disturbing his sleep.

Laura