Author Topic: 16 mos EW- trouble with W2S  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Tamlyn

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:34:27 am »
My 16 mos LO slept until 6:30am his entire life...until this summer when we traveled. Ever since, we've struggled with EW...typically at 5:30am. He wakes in a fuss, which does not occur when he sleeps until 6:30am. We've tried W2S and at times throughout the summer, have gotten him back to sleeping until 6:30am...but these times are few and far between and have been disrupted by sickness, teething, travel, etc. so he's always gone  back to the EW at 5:30am. About 1 week ago he got strep and began the EW again. Last night I tried W2S but before I even got to him, he rolled over and woke up. I'm extremely quiet entering his room, but take his monitor (volume off) with me to shed enough light for me to see where he is in the crib. Today, that alone woke him- all the way. Never went back to sleep. Stands and cries in anger. This has been a constant problem when I try W2S. Sometimes he wakes just when the door opens. Have had some success, but lots of times he actually wakes, even tough I have not touched him or barely touch him. Why is he sleeping so lightly? Any ideas for what I can do differently?

BT is 7pm. He has transitioned to 1 nap mostly, although if his nap is short (40 min), he takes 2 naps. Even with 1 nap, he only sleeps about 1 hr 15 min to 1.5 hr. We've always struggled with 40 min naps and have had the same issue of W2S actually waking him, so I have quit trying it. A 40 min nap beats a 28 min one.

Any ideas? Thanks for taking the time to read this and for trying to help.

Typical EASY below:
5:30am- EW
6:30am- milk
7:30am solids
10am- milk
11-12:30pm Nap
12:30 or 1pm- solids
3:30pm- milk
5:30pm- solids
6:00 Bath
6:30pm wind down
7pm Bed

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 16 mos EW- trouble with W2S
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:02:36 am »
That time of morning generally is a fairly light phase of sleep. Has he always been fairly low sleep needs? My only thought is to try and do an ebt and see if that helps him if he is ot (kind of sounds like it if he is waking fussy). We are low sleep needs here (12 month old almost) and get about an average of 12 hrs total sleep in 24).
Heidi

Offline Tamlyn

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 16:08:49 pm »
Thanks for the post. I do think he has low sleep needs; however, he definitely gets tired throughout the day because his naps are short as well as the EW. We have struggled with 40 min naps his whole life. There was a brief stint this Spring where we had him sleeping through that mark, but he reverted to the 40 min nap when we went on vacation in June. We have not been able to get him beyond 40 min since. He wakes up from naps fussy and in the AM is fussy if it's an EW...leaving me to think that he is still tired. The last 2 nights he has slept till 6am and 6:10am, and has been happy upon waking. I have not tried W2S again.

He is trying to switch from 2 naps to one, and that may be affecting night sleep as well? We thought the short nap would lengthen when he went down from 2 naps to one, but so far it has not...and he is tired most of the afternoon.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 16:20:12 pm »
What about pushing the one nap a wee bit later? Even if it doesn't lengthen the nap at least his 2nd A time won't be as long. For sure the 2-1 switch can affect his nights.
Heidi

Offline Tamlyn

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 16:30:34 pm »
We've been pushing the 1st nap...will keep on until it is gradually after lunch. Thanks for the suggestion!

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 02:33:50 am »
At first on one nap I just did their lunch way early and a bigger snack after.
Heidi

Offline Tamlyn

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 10:22:29 am »
Just as an update...pushing the nap back is working great in terms of lengthening his nap. He's slept for an hour and 15 min the last 3 days. He's still EW 2 out of 3 days, but he is teething and that may be affecting his WU. We are also having a few issues with him waking during the night, which is not typical.

Anyhow, thanks again! Have a great day.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 13:35:09 pm »
Glad his nap has improved! Teething is the pits...have you tried meds to see if it makes a difference?
Heidi