Author Topic: Sleeping bag versus duvet/blankets and pillow introduction  (Read 2018 times)

Offline K-JDA

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Sleeping bag versus duvet/blankets and pillow introduction
« on: August 20, 2014, 16:57:15 pm »
Hi all

DS is 23 months and in a sleeping bag with no pillow in his cot.

It has got colder here at night in the UK and I need to change his lightweight 1 tog sleeping bag for something warmer.

Just deciding whether to take the plunge and go for a duvet/blankets or whether to stick with a sleeping bag. Will need to buy bigger ones this winter so considering my options before buying them.

He sleeps all over the bed plus tends to stand up as soon as I walk out the door at night at bedtime before lying down so am worried he would end up cold with resulting NWs.

I was also wondering about when to introduce a pillow and what sort?

Grateful for your views and BTDT experiences.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Sleeping bag versus duvet/blankets and pillow introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 20:28:58 pm »
Hi my DS is 27 months and we introduced a pillow around 22 months but he's still in a sleep bag as is a right fidget bum. I've got winter sleep bags but think will be getting a duvet soon as he's liking to be under my duvet quite a bit and keeps asking to be tucked in.

John Lewis was great for pillows for us x
Zoe

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 21:23:08 pm »
Hi!

My DD slept in a gro-bag (summer / winter) until she no longer fit into them (very recently - she's just turned 3y) I did introduce a duvet and pillow just before her 2nd birthday when we took the side down from her bed and converted into a BGB.

R refused to sleep without a sleeping bag even with a duvet!! Now that she's grown out of them she likes one folded up in her bed as well as her lovie. We sincerely hoping one day soon she'll part with it all together.

R is a creature of habit and isn't great with change so with her it's always a slow process.

Hth

Hena

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 21:27:05 pm »
When we had to get DS out of sleeping bag, we got him the toddler blanket and pillow from IKEA but it was just difficult to make sure he was well covered (without the calling in the night).  I ended up giving him a single blanket and wrapped it sideways tucking it around the mattress, like a sleeping cocoon/bag iykwim.  It worked really well, no call back, and we kept it that way till he moved into BBB.  Much harder to fall out of bed. 

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:58:26 am »
Thanks - going to stick with sleeping bag this winter and swap next time I think. Might give a pillow a try though. Thanks ladies - great input as ever!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 06:05:07 am »
A pillow for us did stop the endless moving about the bed. I know this doesn't work for all LOs but perhaps worth a try as it will make the duvet transition easier.
~ Naomi ~

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 16:27:15 pm »
DD is 16 months and I introduced a pillow a few weeks back. It's definitely helped keep her put more!

I took her sleep bag away when the weather was warm and have now been trying a blanket for her to get used to whilst it's still not freezing and not so much of a problem if she kicks it off.

It's taken a couple of wks but it is staying on more and more and she's not kicking it off as soon as I tuck her in!
Lauren

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 16:30:47 pm »
DS was about 22/23 months when we introduced a pillow.  He just asked for one so I gave one to him...simple enough.  It has stopped the majority of his rolling about in his crib.

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 18:46:22 pm »
Same here, introduced a pillow and she suddenly stopped rolling around. Still in a sleep sack though. No plans to change as yet.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 21:36:27 pm »
going to stick with sleeping bag this winter and swap next time I think.
It may not have crossed your mind yet but if you are PT there's a chance of LO deciding to try to be dry at night and if so you might (or might not, I don't know) feel that the sleeping bag is a faff for getting up to use the potty in the night or first thing in the morning for WU wee and you might also consider needing a spare for wet nights if you go nappy free at some point during the life span of the sleeping bag. Mine had his first dry night at 25 months, took 6 months to get fully dry (which is kind of the time frame you are moving into) and this is not an unusual age even though the age varies so much on night dryness.
Just thought I'd mention in case you hadn't thought of it.

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 05:25:15 am »
Excellent point creations. He is not looking ready for PT just yet but will bear that in mind. Thanks.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 06:58:46 am »
DS was in a sleepsac until 2y 10mo, when the cotbed side came off  :) I was happy to keep him in one until then to prevent any cot climbing  ;D

He had a toddler pillow & sheet (it was midsummer last year) first, then a toddler duvet (both Asda). This June he moved to a single bed (too long for the cotbed!) and has been fine with a regular pillow & single duvet (Ikea).

No problems with the transitions apart from a couple of falls out of the cotbed at first!

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 05:43:04 am »
Well tried a pillow last night (got a warmer sleeping bag and used that since it is cold in our house now - -IN AUGUST!!!!!!) and when I put him in bed he said 'no like it' and made me take it out.  Ah well - will leave the pillow for now I think!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 05:49:27 am »
Bless him maybe just play around with pillow in the day time...my DS used to wriggle off it to start with but now is mostly straight on it...he likes to line his soft toys up on it then lay in them lol!
I know crazy weather my LO is in winter sleep bag and pjs x
Zoe

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 06:58:45 am »
My DS is back in full length pjs instead of shorts and a T, plus his bedspread which is like a thin duvet, more of an autumn cover than a summer one! Plus we have been having the heating on for bath, BT and our evening  :o

I didn't give DS a pillow until he asked for one. He took mine actually. I felt like it wasn't really great to get a used pillow so bought new, the flattest I could find around here, it was still too fat so he ended up with mine anyway  ::) Prob likes the added Mummy smell  ::)