Author Topic: Naps messing up bedtime?  (Read 981 times)

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:44:28 am »
Ds is now 2.5 months (11 weeks). We have struggled from week 1 with 45 min naps-but have been riding it out and trying to go with it.  (He is the third child-so lots else going on!)

We turned a corner this week and he is finally starting to transition through his naps!! Yippee!!  But bedtime and nights are messy now (previously fine, and several nights sleeping through.  He's over 15 pounds)

Can someone take a look and give me your thoughts?  Is it too much day sleep now?  But how do I change that since he's only staying up for 1.5 hrs?

Up 6:50 starving! Bf
Nap 8:10
Awake 940 but left in bed 15 min happy
Nap11:10 a time 1:25
Up 1:15 nap = 2 h
Nap 2:45, asleep 2:50, a=1:30
Up 5:10 nap = 2h20m

So we kept him up until 7 for bed.  Messy bedtime-fell asleep, then up and down very upset for almost 2 hours.

Up 7:55 am. bf (later morning-nf at 4:30)
Nap 9:20, A 1.25
 up 11:45 (2.25h)
Nap 1:15 A 1:30
up 2:55 (1.40h)
Nap 4:25 upset 5:10, apop until 6, put him down, he slept 20 more
Up 6:20

So I fed him at 6:20, and again at 7:45.  He was asleep at 8:05.  And has been up and down screaming very angry now for almost 2 hours after bed.  He slept 40 min, them woke, spin went in and have been trying to get him back down. It's almost like he's UT tonight. 

So....I know-some great naps!!!  But we're having night wakings (dh has been settling his first one, then I generally feed the second just to get him back to sleep).

How many of you wake from naps??  I hate to wake him since it's taking 11 weeks to get a decent nap out of him!!! But do you think it's throwing off his day sleep?  I felt he was moving to a 3.5 hr possibly...
Thanks!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Naps messing up bedtime?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:00:26 am »
Hi Emily, how are things going?

Usually those early NWs are due to OT, not UT.  The first thing to check would probably be giving an earlier BT (ie no later than a usual A time of 1h30 or so after last nap finishes). 

If no joy there, then you could see whether UT is an issue by limiting naps to 2h, and doing four naps in the day (last one a catnap) to give a little more overall A time.

What do you think?

(Totally jealous of those naps by the way!!)

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 00:43:58 am »
Thank you :). Well as luck would have it we are back to more short naps, so bedtime isn't as miserable and I often apop to keep my sanity.  I do agree-those 3 nap days are terrible all around for some reason.  Much better with 4 naps (of 5-6 short ones!!)

He is not self soothing at naps anymore though, which is troubling to me....but vibe honestly been so first races with the other kids, it's easier to hold him for 5-10 min until his eyes are closed, then put him down.  Hope I don't regret it later!!