Author Topic: Sore nipples at 8 months... What's happening?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline mama_tutu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Sore nipples at 8 months... What's happening?
« on: August 21, 2014, 14:09:47 pm »
My second DD is 8 months old, and for several weeks now my nipples have been so sore. I had terrible soreness during the newborn stage with both my girls, but I BF my oldest for 15 months and never had any pain after the initial 6-8 weeks! What could be happening? She's also waking at night again... but I know that's for another thread. It just makes nursing her that extra time at night all the more frustrating!!! Has anyone experienced this?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Sore nipples at 8 months... What's happening?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 21:49:09 pm »
This happened to me after 5 months of pain-free nursing with DS2. I initially thought it was because he kept falling asleep on the breast and was sucking the end rather than suckling but it turned out to be thrush. Do you think that could be a possibility for you? http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/thrush.html
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:29:49 am »
i was thinking that as well but  there were times something felt off and it was a latch issue - i know when my babies were older they would move around a lot and look around etc , had teeth, etc

(hugs) hope it goes away soon and is nothing serious
heather

Offline 3littlemen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:31:20 am »
Besides poor latch (at this point not likely), biting (again you'd know it!), I'm thinking the other option could be thrush or irritation. Have you changed soap or washing powder? But maybe thrush....

Offline mama_tutu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 03:42:08 am »
Noooo! I was afraid you would say the "t" word. Haven't changed soaps... She doesn't have any teeth yet (although I strongly suspect a few are trying to push through)... But we have been battling yeast in her diaper area. I'll check out that la leche article... haven't dealt with thrush since my oldest was itty bitty! Thank you for your help! If the thrush articles don't seem to fit, I'll be back!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 07:54:24 am »
The other thing it could be is if she is getting a new tooth she could be adjusting her latch to lessen the pain when feeding and that or the hard gum over the new tooth is making you sore. I try encouraging a really wide mouth and pushing the boob in a bit deeper when latching on helps in those circumstances.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011