Author Topic: 8mo NW... APOP now a habit?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline mama_tutu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 21, 2014, 14:55:31 pm »
Hi friends! My 8mo has been waking at random times in the night for almost 3 weeks now (anytime between 12-5...usually only once, but sometimes twice.) Of course, we're asking all the unanswerable questions. Is it teething?? (She has none.) Is it developmental?? (She's pulling up like crazy and trying to cruise.) Is it separation anxiety?? (She used to go down without a peep... now she cries at least a little every time we put her in the crib and walk away. A few times she has gotten so worked up, she's almost inconsolable.)

The thing is, we just moved and she now shares a room with her 2.5 year old sister. The NW started just a few days after we moved in... considering that she was in a new place, and the fact that she was a little sick with a cold at the time, AND I was scared she would wake her sister up, I've been nursing her for these wakings. Not always completely to back to sleep, but sometimes. At first we tried just soothing her in the crib, but it just made her more upset rather than helping. So I would panic and just BF her.

Have I created a habit? or is this just a phase that I need to ride out a little longer? If it's a habit now, how in the world can I train her to SSTN again without effecting my older daughter's sleep (for the most part, she has handled her sister's NW like a champ... usually sleeps through unless it's 5am or later). Sorry for the long story and bazillion questions... I'm just totally at a loss here. I don't know what to do! 

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 8mo NW... APOP now a habit?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 15:05:35 pm »
Was she STTN prior to the move?  If so, then I'd probably say that the NW for a feed is habitual.  I stopped feeding my DS in the night at around 8 months, so if you feel like she is getting enough milk and solids during the day, it's not likely a true hunger waking.  If not, then it could be related to other factors - 8 months is prime time for developmental leaps and SA (I found it the absolute worst at this age) so that could play a huge part too.

Offline mama_tutu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 17:20:14 pm »
Hi Lindsay! Thanks for your time!

Yes, she was STTN... she would usually cry out at least once, but not actually wake up... or if she did, she'd settle herself back down. I'm not sure why she forgot how as soon as we moved here! Like I said, we would give her space to work it out at first... but after 45 min. to an hour of her crying only escalating, we would finally go in for fear she would wake her sister.

So, any suggestions for how to get her self settling again, without disturbing her sister too much? I can't believe we have to go through dropping a NF again. :((( Dreading it!!!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 8mo NW... APOP now a habit?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 17:10:08 pm »
Just checking in to see how things are going?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**