Author Topic: 5 week old wakes at 3-4am trying to pass wind  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Beed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 week old wakes at 3-4am trying to pass wind
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:41:10 am »
Hi

My 5wo DS wakes around 3am every night grunting,groaning and crying, pulling legs up and down trying to get some bottom wind out.  From then on I get no sleep at all.  He does manage a few but won't settle back to sleep unless upright.  I'm at my wits end!

The evening naps don't seem to go to plan very well with DS crying and not going off for catnap between tanking up.
He doesn't go down for sleeps in his Moses basket during day, preferring to be put in buggy and wheeled along or with a dummy which he then gets very frustrated with as it falls out and he can't put it back in so we spend most of the nap time doing that.  Or he sleeps for a few mins and then his eyes ping open!
He was 9lb 8oz at birth
Is now  Aptamil formula fed during day - 5oz on roughly 2 1/2 -3 hour basis using Dr Browns bottles.  He tends to fall asleep on the bottle at the end of his feed.

I have 2 other children I need to look after as well so finding it very difficult.

Any advice please?

Offline Rowanlucy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5 week old wakes at 3-4am trying to pass wind
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:30:30 am »
Hi there, we had this with our little boy and at one point he was on infacol, gripe water, massage and upright feeding. Not sure any of it worked really and in the end we just stopped giving all this and waited patiently for his digestion to get more efficient. I think it wa aroun 9 weeks that we moved him to his own room too as he was disturbing us with this whilst he was fast asleep! Sorry no real advice to give but I do sympathise with you, hang in there☺️

Offline Mackjack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 13:20:54 pm »
I had this problem too. 4am grunting and writhing. Drove me mad. As Rowanlucy says, in the end it stopped by itself (sorry I know that is not what you wanted to hear) but I really found infacol helped - give it at every feed. And when he has NFs really wind him and hold him upright as long as you can ( without waking him too much).

Offline Beed

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 14:06:29 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  He is also just doing one massive explosive BM per day, is that normal for formula fed?
 I've just bought some Colief and the hope that might help a bit!!! We will be hitting the 6 week growth spurt too I guess - arrrrrgggghh!!!  Will let you know how I get on with Colief x

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 21:11:03 pm »
I'm not sure about the BMs but if he's going every day,  even if only once, that's still regular so he's certainly not constipated.  I never used Colief as I was BFing so it was too much of a faff but I have heard really good things about it and know mums who said it made a massive difference.  Hope it works for you, I know how hard the early morning grunting is to cope with! !

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 06:27:30 am »
Had the same here too - as others have said I do think it was just time that helped.  Hang in there x

Offline Beed

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 07:39:45 am »
Okay, time it is then!  So how do you help them/soothe them in the night when they're doing it?  Most of the time he ends up crying because he's tired and it keeps waking him up!
X

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 07:55:32 am »
Plenty of cuddles, feed at reasonable intervals, burp well after feeds and just wait it out x