Author Topic: when to replace milk feed with solids?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
when to replace milk feed with solids?
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:29:33 am »
I was recently at my LO's 6mo check up. Anyway, I asked about feeding solids and the doctor said I can and should try everything out (minus honey). That fits my love for trying new things and seeing baby taste new foods too.
So what I'm wondering as he nears 7months, is when do I actually replace a milk feeding with solids?
The doctor gave me zero advice on how much or how often to feed him. He just said vary his food and sent me on my merry way.

Also, I am hoping to start for #2 so a return of my period would hopefully come by dropping a feed or two.... I hope.
Currently this is his schedule

7am WU + BM
8:30am Solids (veg, meat, grains) + BM top off
10am S (1.5-2hrs)
Noon BM
1:30 Solids (veg, grains, fruit)
3pm S (45min-1hr)
4pm BM
6pm Solids (oatmeal w formula & fruit mixed in)
7pm BM
7:30pm S
10:30pm DF (8oz Formula)

Plus I just read that most babies get too much milk. Is that true?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: when to replace milk feed with solids?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:55:34 am »
Hi. Your routine looks fine :)
Most people offer solids roughly an hour after a milk feed which is what you are doing, looks like 1.5hrs, that's fine if it's working for you and LO.
Milk is still the primary food source until much closer to 12 months so I would just continue as you are. It becomes clear when to drop a milk feed later on when LO stops taking a proper feed at one or more milk feeds, maybe around 8 or 9 months but it varies from LO to LO, the point though is that the switch of 1 milk feed to a solids snack with a drink of water would be led by your LO rather than led by you.  When the time comes you would switch either the mid morning or mid afternoon milk feed to a solids snack with a cup of water, leaving 3 milk feeds in the day.
I've never heard that most babies take too much milk and that's not the trend I've see on BW either so I would probably disregard that, milk is still the most important food source for your baby.
Babies are usually very good at self regulating so will show signs of being full when taking solids, turning away, clamping mouth shut, or if you are offering finger foods just not taking them or dropping them to the floor.  You can follow your LO's signs to know if he wants more solids or has had enough. The only time you might need to guide the portion would be if the milk intake dropped too much too soon.

There are not many foods you need to avoid but here are some guides
Foods To Avoid

WRT trying for #2 I would suggest a thread on the BF board. I have no experience of this but lots of mummies have conceived whilst still breast feeding and I'm sure you would get some great advice and support there.

hope this helps, do shout out if you have more questions :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 13:13:06 pm »
It's common for LOs to take 3 bottles of formula much earlier than for a BF LO to move to 3BFs in the day. I guess because they can more easily drink 3 bigger bottles (e.g. 8ozs) whereas it's unlikely they would be able to take such a big feed in a single BF.  Both of my two kept 4 BFs in the day until after 12mo but some LOs move early to 3 BFs around 10 or 11mo. I wouldn't personally drop a daytime milk feed before weaning the DF as ideally you want the calories in the day rather than the night.

The only issue with getting too much breast milk is if LO isn't interested in trying solids really but it doesn't sound like you have that issue at all as your LO is already taking a substantial amount of solids. I have heard some babies take too much formula (e.g. 36oz +) but that is not something you or most FF babies need to worry about :)

I agree with pp that your current routine looks good so I'd stick with that for now :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 17:59:33 pm »
Thanks for all the additional info Ali :)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 14:16:01 pm »
Thanks ladies!
What do you think is the proper amount a baby should be eating? If you took a jar of baby food (I think the larger ones are 190g) how much of that should I be offering? I make my own mush, so I'm just sorta guessing at the quantities. I'd say I offer about half of a jar though LO would be happy to eat more.

And today, after his "lunch" solids, I offered a bottle of water. Wasn't sure IF I should or how much to let him drink. He greedily gulped down the water but I cut him off after just a little bit. The rice & Veg mix was particularly lumpy and thick today. ;D Should I have done that?

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 21:21:46 pm »
I wouldn't limit water at all. I also offered a bottle of water with solids when DS started out as he couldn't get what he needed from a sippy cup at that point. I offered a sippy cup too for practice.

I always offered as much solids as DS wanted and watched for signs he was finished. You'd only need to hold back with solids if the milk feeds dropped too much too soon.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:35:52 am »
Personally I wouldn't offer water in a bottle as it is better for him to drink breast milk. I only offered water in a sippy.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:51:02 am »
Oh really! Ok. I was trying to limit it bc I assume it was just for taste not nutrition. He always gets upset when I say he's done.
In that case, I wouldn't have to do a BM top off, correct? Especially if he gets a little water after eating. I only do a top off in the morning because his first nap tends to go long. I guess if he's full, he wouldn't need that.

So in terms of quantity, if he were eating 3/4-1 190g jar, that would be fine. Right? Assuming his BM feed is normal later.

And water after eating in a sippy... better because he doesnt get nipple confused? Or bc its more efficient?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:21 am »
Giving a sippy instead of a bottle is so he learns to drink from a cup which is the end goal, to get rid of bottles by 12mo. It's mostly for practice and to get a few sips of water to wash the food down I guess. Breastfed babies don't need additional water. Tracy suggested, and some people do, offer breast milk in a sippy with food instead but I always just offered water and that is what the UK NHS website suggests. It would have been too wasteful for me to pump to offer breast milk in a sippy as too much would have been left.

There is no issue with eating any amount if solids as long as his breast milk intake doesn't suffer. I'd definitely consider what foods you are offering though. Obviously a jar (or better still a homemade portion) of puréed veg is much better than a jar of sugary stuff like pure fruit or chocolate pudding.