Author Topic: 3-hour EASY, baby takes catnaps and smt doesnt sleep in the afternoon  (Read 1151 times)

Offline obladi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0

My baby is almost 7 week old and Im following 3hour EASY schedule for a few weeks already. From 4 weeks I started with 1hour wake time and from 6 week old increased wake time to 1h15mins approx. My baby schedule is as followed:

E: 7.00 wake up and feed (I play some music on the background), breastmilk 130 to 150ml
A: 7.45
S: 8.15 (I put her down when she is sleepy and it takes only a few mins for her to fall asleep)

E:10 or 10.30, breastmilk 120-130ml Sometimes in one of her morning naps she sleeps for more than 2 hours I have to wake her up
S: 11:10 to 11:40 (her wake time at the second nap is shorter, If I make her wake longer she will be very fuss and cry)

E: 1:30, 100ml
Here she often fall asleep within 45mins and I have to keep her up. I tried to put her down when she is sleepy (45mins) but she wakes up right away. I tried to keep her awake for 1h she catnap for less than 30mins. I used shush pat to extend her nap, sometimes it works but most of the time it does not!

Around 4:00 4.30 I breastfeed her or give her another bottle and if i got lucky then she catnap for another 30,45mims

5:45 bath then night sleep around 6.30, 7pm. Wake up around 10.30 or 11 for another  bottle 100ml, then 3.30 wake up, breastfeed very shot and sleep right away until 7am.

Please help with the afternoon nap, I dont know what to do at the moment but seem like it's difficult for her to settle to sleep.
Should I stop the feed at 3:30 as well because she doesnt seem to eat alot at that time.

Thanks alot for your help and support. Im looking forward to hear your advice.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 14:51:47 pm by phuong.liendo »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 3-hour EASY, baby takes catnaps and smt doesnt sleep in the afternoon
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:59:08 pm »
Hi there,

Overall your day doesn't look at all bad for 7 weeks.  Great job on establishing BT and your nights are pretty good for that age too.  I wouldn't do anything about the 3.30am feed given how young your LO is - sounds all completely normal to me :)

Some things to bear in mind.  There are a lot of developmental changes/growth spurts etc in the first few months so what works this week may not next week.  Similarly you fix one issue and another pops up! 

In general after a short nap you need to do a shorter A time to prevent too much OT.  So if LO can usually handle 1h15, you may need to do closer to an hour or even a touch less after a short nap.  OT and overstimulation tend to accumulate during the day so LOs are often harder to settle as the day goes on.  At such a young age I wouldn't hesitate to use AP (accidental parenting ie stroller, pram, sling etc) to get a long nap in the afternoon if all you've had are catnaps.  Much better to limit the overtiredness as far as you can!  My LO (12 weeks) quite frequently has a late longish nap in the sling to make up for bad naps earlier on and that seems to help. 

Also, don't try to keep a tired LO awake to stick to a schedule.  That's not what EASY is meant to be about.  Yes it will mean some days are pretty messy with AEAS or EAEAS patterns but that's ok, and pretty normal at this age :)

Hope that helps x

Offline obladi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 3-hour EASY, baby takes catnaps and smt doesnt sleep in the afternoon
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:26:53 am »
Thank you very much for the reply I will try again today. Been log in every hour :)