Author Topic: 14mo good eater now very picky - any advice v welcome!  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Bababoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
14mo good eater now very picky - any advice v welcome!
« on: August 27, 2014, 17:02:54 pm »
I think this is an age thing (have read that previously good eaters can change at @ 1 year old) but wanted to see if people have experienced similar changes and any advice on how you got through them...

DD is 14 months - on solids since just under 6 months...took to food really well, would eat anything really - meat, fish, eggs, all types of veg. All her food was homemade so she was used to strong flavours, different colours and textures.

She was FF and has just finished it - now has milk when she gets up and just before bedtime.

Breakfast is fine - eats porridge, toast and fruit and can feed herself the latter two and is getting better every day using the spoon so I feed her a spoon and then she feeds herself a spoon etc
Lunch and dinner have become a disaster though....since she started feeding herself I've been making alot of veg cakes for lunch..all different types of veg and she loved taking them apart and eating them - is still great to eat fishcakes but everything else gets thrown on the floor.
Scrambled eggs is very hit and miss...might eat some...might throw it on the floor - but will eat the toast.
Used to make little pots of veg for dinner and then cook some meat to add on the day and she'd eat the whole pot - won't go near them now - just finished dinner now and ended up giving her pasta and cheese (she'd eat cheese and fruit all day long) as she kept pushing the spoon of veg away. I left some on the highchair to let her pick at them but they got thrown on the floor.

Her appetite has decreased in the last few months but she is healthy and vibrant and has been sleeping better in the last few weeks than she has for months (started walking @ 6 weeks ago...used to wake at 5am every morning but is now sleeping till 7am and is now down to one midday nap).

I have to be honest and say that even apart from being worried that her intake of veg and meat has decreased alot it's also very frustrating to see all that food going to waste  - both because of the cost but also the time and effort I put into planning and making her food - I miss the meals watching her gobble up her grub!

Any advice or tales of similar experiences appreciated! (Should add that bedtime bottle is after dinner so not affecting food intake).

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: 14mo good eater now very picky - any advice v welcome!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 18:44:50 pm »
Hi.  Just wanted to say that I've been there and for us it did pass.  At around 13 months my DD who was previously a very good eater (some would say greedy!) started refusing a lot of food particularly veg, fish etc.  And just didn't seem to want to eat very much. 

I would say that it lasted for about 3 months with some days / weeks being worse than others and she did lose a couple of months but then she seemed to come out of it and start eating a lot more again and started gaining weight again.

She is still more picky than she used to be and it can make mealtimes very stressful when she flat out refuses to even try something I've just spent ages cooking (and have about another 8 meals of in the freezer!) but I have learnt to relax a bit more about it too - if she doesn't eat then she gets her dessert and then a slightly bigger snack before her next meal, but it doesn't seem to harm her too much.

Offline Bababoo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 19:15:51 pm »
Thanks for that - I am inclined to think it's an age thing as it does seem to be prevalent around this age - but that doesn't make it any less stressful! Good to hear of people coming out the other side though...did you do anything in particular to help the phase pass or was it just a gradual return on her part?

Like you I've been trying to relax...I think she does still love food...and does still have the occasional day when she will eat well at all three meals but not enough to really be getting the full range of vitamins and minerals. Today was another dinner where I ended up making pasta several minutes into her dinner when it was obvious that she wasn't going to eat what was prepared...so she had pasta and cheese...again!

I'm trying not to fall into the trap of just giving her apples, bananas, cheese and pasta...all of which she will happily devour...but it's so demoralising seeing food I've prepared being thrown on the floor or just plain rejected..and tempting to give her what I know she will take. I wonder if she is bored with what I'm offering - I steam all her veg - maybe I should try roasting them for a change in taste and texture!

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 20:20:50 pm »
I think that I just had to grit my teeth and tolerate it when it was at it's worse!  Now what I try to do is do one meal a day that I know she likes and one that may be a bit iffy so I know at least something will get eaten!  Sorry, not too helpful!

I don't think it was a gradual return to eating well, so much as one day she suddenly started eating the carrots that she had been refusing for the last month and then started cleaning her plates!!  Without any change in what I was giving her.  (having said that she is now off carrots again!) 

My DD loves roasted sweet potato so you could give that a go.  Also omelettes / fritatas are a definite safe option for us too.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 20:31:02 pm »
I wouldn't offer an alternative halfway through a meal, personally. If you're worried about her not eating you can always offer pasta and cheese with some veggie sauce for her to dip into. Or offer a healthy snack sooner than usual.

It likely will pass, but it's normal for toddlers to live on very little food and you need to set both of you up now with habits that you can continue. If she doesn't eat at one meal she can make up for it at another!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Bababoo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 20:53:07 pm »
I don't like ditching the (rejected) veg during the meal and making something else as I don't want her thinking that if she rejects one meal she will get an alternative served up a few mins later  - that's me making a rod that will quickly break my back - but then I get nervous about just ending the meal without her eating anything - so I give in.
Maybe I should just take her out of the highchair when she won't eat, keep the dinner and offer it to her a little later when she is playing - maybe try get her to sit down beside me and have a bit?

It's funny though that as she started walking - and is constantly on the move - and sleeping better - that her appetite has decreased.

BeeAnn - I make a broc and cheese frittata last week from a recipe I found online - she ate loads of it so I made one again this week and she wouldn't even taste it - just prodded it and then threw it on the floor - that's what I find so frustrating  - while one day she loves something she looks at it with disgust the next time it appears!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 20:58:46 pm »
She's too busy to eat, in all likelihood. Hold firm and just offer later if needs be.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 21:59:44 pm »
Agree with pp regarding not making a second meal, you are offering your LO a healthy variety of foods at regular times it is her job to fill her tummy, just stick with it. I would offer smaller potions so you are wasting less, offer what's left later or the next next, but I wouldn't chase her around the house or even sit on the sofa cajoling her to eat.

I found at 1yo my LOs tastes changed, so as well as a drop in food he became clearer on what he liked and didn't like.  When I became concerned about his diet going out of balance (wasn't taking much protein at all) I had some great advice here to try stitching up breakfast. I really thought he would reject a change of breakfast as it was such a regular meal, same each day, ate well, but to my surprised he ate the different breakfast without batting an eye. It's worth trying if you are concerned about too few veg or meat.  You could save some veggies from the night before and offer instead of her porridge, and perhaps offer porridge/toast for lunch/snack instead. It doesn't need to be for ever.

Offline Bababoo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:12:32 am »
Thanks creations....we're stuck in a breakfast rut  - she eats the porridge and toast and fruit with such gusto and obvious enjoyment that I've become afraid to vary it - thinking that at least I know she's had one really good meal, and one that she enjoys - but I am afraid that she will get bored with it one of these days.
If she was consistent in rejecting things I could whittle down what her changing tastes are but because she'll eat things one day and another day covers her face with horror when presented with it that it's hard to know what to offer her...

I'll try offer some veg at breakfast - she clearly has a great appetite in the morning so I'll see if she wants to make a go at them!

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 12:06:45 pm »
BeeAnn - I make a broc and cheese frittata last week from a recipe I found online - she ate loads of it so I made one again this week and she wouldn't even taste it - just prodded it and then threw it on the floor - that's what I find so frustrating  - while one day she loves something she looks at it with disgust the next time it appears!
I totally get this! Frustrates me so much too!
I don't actually make a second meal anymore if she refuses to eat. I used to, then when that one got thrown on the floor as well I gave up!
 You mentioned before about roasting veggies.. My DD goes nuts for sweet potato wedges, parsnips and carrots. I do these quite often now compared to just steaming them. I just add a little bit of olive oil and some mixed dried herbs (think I read it in an old post by creations, so I won't take the credit!) and she can literally eat her body weight in the stuff!

Offline Bababoo

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 14mo good eater
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 12:15:03 pm »
Kellyjs...when you are roasting the veg do you just cut the veg into chunks, cover with a bit of oil and put them on a roasting tin/tray in the oven? How long do you put them in for? Thanks!

I think she does still like her veg but I think she needs to see it in a new light!

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 13:45:30 pm »
Yep, cut them a lot thicker than I would do for steaming. DD isn't too keen on eating the skins yet on the sweet potato and I've found if I spout them too thin, they're just too crunchy for her. I'd say like big fat wedges. The carrots take a little longer, so I first out them in at 180dg with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of dried herbs for around 10 mins, then add the sweet potato and parsnips with a tiny bit more oil and herbs and do for around 40mins. I use a small metal roasting tin or plate. The idea is not to let them get too crunchy as I've found she just gets frustrated!! Hth x

Offline Bababoo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 15:24:51 pm »
Thanks for that....will try and see how we get on!  :D

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 23:10:34 pm »
If you pile them up they'll roast softer, if you spread them out they are more like chips - I never worry about offering 'chips' as they are all veggies and very little white potato.  Rather than putting things in a different times I tend to chop them into different sizes. And if a few things are getting crunchy before others are cooked I take those out earlier which gives them time to cool for DS whilst the rest continue to cook for the rest of the family (and we get them hot). Swede, turnip, parsnip, celeriac, sweet pot, carrot...

I also do a softer mixed roast veg thing with red onions (quarters or sixths depending how big the onion is, always cut so the root keeps the wedge together), sweet pot wedges, courgette, red orange yellow pepper, aubergine, sometimes throw in a big handful of cherry toms or baby corn - just about anything really. Small amount of oil and toss them or rub through your hands, piled in a dish, herbs or garlic if you like.  Makes a nice change and any left overs can be mixed through pasta the next day for a quick lunch. (did this recently with a few white pots added too, left it for an hour and only turned the veg around once, lazy cooking!!)

It's quite common for LOs to have a hearty breakfast, medium sized lunch and lighter dinner taking in more calories earlier in the day, different from many adults who spread the calorie intake across the day.

Would she be more interested in what is on someone elses plate?

Offline Bababoo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 11:34:29 am »
Still haven't got around to roasting the veg yet...made a batch the usual way and she ate them (just one of those days when she was happy to eat anything!). I think I'll try the crispier version first -  have a feeling she'll find the crunchy sound interesting!

She is mad keen to get at the food everyone else is eating...but doesn't always want to eat it - for instance...I make pancakes for myself once or twice a week for breakfast - I've tried her on plain ones, apple ones, banana ones...and she doesn't like them at all (I think it's the texture rather than the taste) but she goes crazy to get a piece off my plate...and is then disgusted at the piece I give her. You can't eat outside of meal times as she will be very frustrated if she doesn't get a piece of whatever you're having...which at lease means I've had to cut out my own junk food consumption!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 18:36:34 pm »
I might be repeating a previous post, is she teething?

I would offer her anything you are having so she is at least getting some trials with different foods. It's understandable she wants to be included in being offered the same food but I would have thought she'd have a go at eating a bit of some of it and not reject it all, taking personal taste into consideration of course.

My LO went through a phase of needing all food to be taste tested by me before he could eat it. This came after being a great eater and he still liked a huge variety but the phase would have had him eat almost nothing if I hadn't tested his food for him. The way I saw it he was more mobile and had had a developmental leap. My theory is that with more mobility comes greater danger (wander off into the jungle get eaten by lion, wander over to bush eat poisonous berries, see what I mean?) so triggers SA and/or pickiness which actually makes their life safer.  I used to laugh and say I was the King's jester testing the food for poison, serve a larger portion on DS's plate so that I could take a small sample of each item and eat it in front of him saying what the item was and that it was good, "carrots [take bite], they're good/safe".  It made a huge difference to him, once I'd done it with each food he'd basically clear his plate.
May be a long shot but may be worth a try?

Offline Bababoo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:42 pm »
Thanks again for the advice...no, not actively teething at the minute...and I know by her that it's an attitude thing really!

Tried the roasted veg the other day..lots of prodding and a bit of tasting but not much gobbling up! She is a little bit out of sorts today..wants to keep sitting on my lap and a bit needy so I'm going to give her a selection of things she likes for lunch (pasta, cheese, apple and natural yogurt) just so she has a stress free lunch...I've put some sweet pots in to roast aswell and I figure I'll leave them there amongst the other stuff and let her try them again..she does love sweet pot so we'll see...if no joy I'll have them anyway!

I've tried the tasting thing before - her response has been 'great, you're eating it - here - have some more'!

I think a combination of patience and perhaps trying to be a more varied in tastes  - like I said before I've gotten into a bit of a cooking rut - I'm not a natural cook so I think having found a variety of things she liked I got a bit stuck on what I prepared -  do all this and hope it's also just a phase of her asserting her independence. For instance she has been trying to figure out how to dress herself - this morning she managed to get a leg into her pajamas but they were inside out so I took them off to fix them and she was NOT happy..desperately trying to get them on herself again!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 17:34:31 pm »
her response has been 'great, you're eating it - here - have some more'!
funny :)

She sounds like she likes her independence already.