Author Topic: Question about a friends newborn  (Read 1287 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« on: August 28, 2014, 14:42:21 pm »
 My friend had her lo 2 weeks ago.  She told me her baby is sleeping thru the night, (from 10pm til 5:30, and not just a fluke!) She goes 4 hours between feeds during wake time.  I don't know why this worries me but it does!   :-\   She did say that she is peeing and pooping....but my worry bone won't stop. Of course I didn't say anything....except "Wow! Millie ate every 2 hours for her first month!"  And she said she just has a very 'easy' and calm baby.  :-\

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Question about a friends newborn
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 15:43:32 pm »
It sounds ok as long as LO is peeing, pooping, and gaining weight well. It's on the end of the spectrum for sure, but both my LOs have done huge stretches overnight from being very young (DS first did 12h straight at 8 weeks and had done the equivalent of 10-5.30 from maybe 3 weeks or so, DD was similar). Every Mum is different in her capacity to produce and store milk (and calories) and every LO is different in what they can take at each feed.  Whilst I think the guidance is for 8-12 BFs per 24h in the early days, in reality I think we did 9 maybe once, 7-8 for a week or two, maybe three, and then 6 or even 5 has been our norm.  I think as long as she is following her LOs cues, not holding her out for a feed, and LO is thriving its probably fine. Just tell her to wait for the growth spurts - didn't know what had hit us at 11 weeks!!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 16:07:10 pm »
I agree. At 5wo Cadan was sleeping 10-5ish but it didn't last as we went through the growth spurts at 3 and 4mo.
If LO is happy and growing well then she may just be lucky :)
Sweet of you to worry. If mum was forcing that schedule and refusing to feed before then that would be another matter but if baby is doing it of her own accord then it should be fine.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 23:23:54 pm »
Masyn and Elliotte were similar in that they did long night stretches very young, but they fed 3 hourly ish during the day iirc. But so long as she is following baby's lead and the output is good then that is all that matters!
Heidi

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:40:01 am »
 Ok I feel much better.  :)   Thanks.   Her lo went to the doc at 7 days, and when I met her she was 15 days old and was to be seen in 2 days. I worried that alot could happen in a week, yk? As far as weight I mean.  I did the math and it was like 4 or 5 feeds a day which had my worry bone in overdrive!

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:19:45 am »
My nephew STTN from day one, and he slept 10 hrs from the start! Somehow he never woke up at night, and my sister did nothing to encourage this. Just a weird kid, and super lucky parents!! I would say as long as they are not ignoring her or not feeding at wake ups (doesn't sound like it) then they should consider themselves lucky! My DD actually did long stretches at the beginning too, but that all went to pot later. :-)

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:54:27 am »
Oh no, she would never be ignoring her baby, she is a FANTASTIC Mom.  I just got worried about the number of feedings, and wondered how that could possibly be...? But then by this point she has seen the doc for a 2-week check, and if there are issues with weight I'm sure it will come up.  I honestly didn't know a newborn could have so few feedings.....but maybe Mom makes supermilk...lol....

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 06:46:30 am »
I'd say it certainly is exceptional but pees and poops and weight are the main indicator of any problem.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 19:09:14 pm »
  Thanks.  Just feel like I want to clarify that I in NO way thought my friend was doing something "wrong" to make me feel worried. My worry was that there might be (God forbid) something going on with the baby, causing her to sleep through feeds and not ever cry, because my friend says she never cries. That's what I was worried about.....that something was causing the baby to sleep alot and not wake for feeds....

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 00:08:29 am »
That amazes me too Anne! Please god bless me with a healthy LO3 who sleeps anywhere near that much!!
Nini

Offline cnaz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Mommy to three beautiful girls!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 00:20:08 am »
I have seen many babies not wake to feed and there actually can be medical reasons for it. The first one being jaundice (high bilirubin levels). Is baby yellow looking? The bilirubin levels accumulate and rise and will make baby really sleepy. The only way to prevent this is with frequent feedings so the baby can poop out the excess bilirubin, or phototherapy if needed. The second (and I have seen this quite often when doing home visits) is the baby is actually not getting enough calories to have the energy to wake up, and the cycle continues. They will sleep long periods of time 4-6 hours without waking and mom and dad interpret this as baby can't be hungry because they are sleeping, when in turn it is actually the opposite. These babies need to be woken up to eat until they are gaining weight well, and then they will usually start waking on their own every 2-3 hours. With this said if baby is gaining weight well then this is not at all a concern and they can just let baby sleep. Weight will be the true indicator! Not all doctors do weight checks though, so maybe see if it was done just to be sure? Baby should be back up to birth weight by 2 weeks. Not trying to make you worried again, just want to make sure all is well :)