Author Topic: 7 month old advice needed  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Martika

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 28, 2014, 18:34:40 pm »
Hello!

I'm looking for some advice for my 7 month old DD. We started solids with her when she was nearly 6 month old. She started well and liked most of what I offered. However, just over a week ago she started showing her dislikes for veg and main meal type of food. She loves everything dairy - porridge, natural yoghurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, semolina, cheese. I normally mix it with some fruit puree or give it as it is. She also loves fruit both pureed and as finger food.
As I mentioned before I struggle with veg/fish/meat type of food. She would happily try it but then just shuts her mouth, starts rubbing her eyes, takes it out of her mouth and smudges it all over her face and head :( It sounds funny but it makes me feel quite discouraged. I like my veg and thought if she was BF she would like it too. But it doesn't seem to be the case. I tried to puree it, mash it, mix it with milk or give it to her as finger food. It just doesn't work unless she's very hungry. Sometimes I think she is just not hungry but as soon as I offer something that she likes she wants to eat a lot!
Is there any way to encourage her to take veg? Is it just the case of offering every time and hopefully one day she'll love it? If she doesn't want her veg should I offer something else or do I encourage her pickiness by doing so? Is it ok to give so much dairy products if this is what she wants or should I just let her go without solids and offer BF instead?
I'm sorry for so many questions. It's all new to me and I just want to do it right.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 19:23:28 pm by Martika »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 7 month old advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:03:32 am »
It isn't vital for her to have solids or lots of solids as her primary food is still milk so the tastes of solids are for her to learn about taste, texture, smell etc. I would decide what you are offering for a meal before hand and then stick to that without going looking for more/different food.
Are you offering solids an hour or so after BF?  If you are then I don’t see why you'd need to replace the solids with another BF if she refuses the solids.
Keep offering the range of tastes and she'll probably start taking some.  If she is teething this could be putting her off meals too.

Offline Martika

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 14:43:33 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me and for your advice. Yes, I offer solids an hour or so after her BF. My problem is that she can now be awake for 3.5-3.75h and if we aim for 1.5h nap it makes it 5h+ in between her BFs after 2 naps. I don't think she can go that long without anything in between if she doesn't take any solids. She's quite good in the morning but lunch can be hit and miss. I do realise that solids are just for taste/smell/texture but I also thought it could give her just a little bit of extra to see her through till the next BF. What do you think?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 15:58:02 pm »
Personally I offered a top up bf before naps (not fed to sleep, maybe 15-20 before) when the A times got so long that it was too long between feeds and solids were not enough.
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 17:28:19 pm »
it makes it 5h+ in between her BFs
Milk feeds can end up that far apart when the are solids between and A times are longer. If she's ok then it's fine, but also
I offered a top up bf before naps
quite a few people do this whether BF or FF.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 18:56:25 pm »
What about putting the veg in a curry or casserole? (And puréeing if needed)

H isn't so keen on plain veg either but likes it mixed with other foods or spices.

Or what about cheesy veg like cauliflower cheese?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Martika

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:48:52 am »
Thank you all very much for getting back to me and your suggestions.

Personally I offered a top up bf before naps (not fed to sleep, maybe 15-20 before) when the A times got so long that it was too long between feeds and solids were not enough.
I sometimes do it but am a bit aprehensive that she'll start snacking rather than taking a full BF after a nap and then will start catching up at night. Do you think it can be the case? How long did you do it for and at what age did you stop it?

What about putting the veg in a curry or casserole? (And puréeing if needed)
Or what about cheesy veg like cauliflower cheese?
I'll defenitely give it a try. DD is a little cheeky monkey. As she's already tried quite a few different foods she can tell what she likes and what she's not that keen on. Like yesterday a tiny bit of grated cheese through her lentils and veg puree made it into a tasty meal while previously she just rejected it point blank :) And yes, she's getting much better with her veg (if made tasty) :D

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:48:45 pm »
I did top ups right up until we switched completely to formula (9-10 months or so). Whether it was a snacking habit or not I couldn't say but it worked for her from about 3-4 months old (she is very low sleep needs so the high A timea made it necessary to do that or she would have been due a feed mid nap!).
Heidi