Author Topic: 7 month old A time?  (Read 918 times)

Offline Martika

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 28, 2014, 19:56:39 pm »
Hello!

My DD is 7m1w old. Can she be ready for 3.5-3.75h A time? I previously posted on Night Wakings forum in relation to her waking after going to bed. I got great help from Katherine who I'm very grateful to. Since then I've been constantly trying to get her A time right to get 2x1.5h naps. Her naps for a while were in the region of 1h-1.20min which I was quite happy about. Now she's back to 40min-1h naps and it causes NW again!!! She's only been on 3h15min A time for a couple of weeks and now I feel she's ready for 3.5-3.75h. At the same time I'm afraid of pushing it too hard as then it's followed by an OT nap... 1.5h nap is just soooooo illusive.
Just to give you an idication of what's happening here this is what our EASY has been today
WU 7.20 (she was awake from before 5am till about 6.30 so I didn't know how well rested she was)
E/solids 8.30
A 3h20min (wanted to try for 3.5h but she'd been very yawny all morning so didn't want to push)
S 10.40 - 11.20 (left her for 15min; wide awake)
E/solids 12.30
A 3h15min after a short nap???
S 14.35 - 15.35
E/solids 16.30
A
E & S 18.50
Awake 40min later crying; back to sleep 15min later. I've heard her making noises since then.
It just doesn't seem right that she needs her A time extended again, but I don't seem to be able to get her naps sorted. I feel as if all I've been trying to do since she was born is to get her naps sorted:) it helps that it's only two of them these days, but she's still OT:( any advice would be much appreciated

Offline Nickie18

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 7 month old A time?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 22:47:43 pm »
Our 5 month old just went to 3 hours A time, so I would guess that a 7 month old could be much higehr... My first LO went to one nap at 8 months! I would slowly lengthen the A time until you get a good first nap and then lengthen the rest. We ar still strugglingot tell the correct A time as she has no sleep cues- so hard! We were at 2h30m and were getting NW and EW and that has stopped now for the most part and sleeping through the night for now at least...lol!

Offline Martika

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 14:55:47 pm »
Hi Nickie! Thanks for your input and yes, I can totally relate to lack of sleep cues. She can be very yawny from the moment she wakes but if kept engaged will show no sleep cues. I can only see it from her becoming quite irritable but it's not a reliable cue for me. So, I'll have to try and see. Will definitely try to extend her first A time to get a proper nap. My other problem is her morning WU time. She gets quite restless somewhere in the region of 6am but can still be asleep or just quietly play in the cot. So, unless I see what time she opens her eyes I struggle to tell her WU time within 15min. Sometimes it can be 30min or so. She can also be awake for a while and then go back to sleep so I'm never sure whether to give her full A time or shorten it a bit.
Anyway, will keep trying. Hope one day we'll be on a solid routine rather than keep guessing :) We've also just had our first cold, so no STTN here (

Offline Martika

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 18:30:47 pm »
Hi! I am looking for some help yet again. My DD is 7.5month old now and I am struggling with her EASY these days. Her first A time is 3h45m, and her second A time is 3h30m to 3h40m, which pushes her BT very late. Here is our typical EASY at the moment
WU 7
E/breakfast 8.30ish
A 3h45m ish
S 10.45 - 12ish (only gives me just over an hour nap; though extending A time to 4h gives me an OT nap).
E/lunch 13ish
A 3h30m to 3h40m
S 15.40 - .... this is where my problem starts. If she sleeps for over an hour, she is up at about 17ish, meaning that her BT comes after 20.00 as she's well rested after this sort of nap. If she sleeps less than an hour than I can settle her at about 19-19.30, which what I would like to aim for.
Could you please tell me what I should aim for in terms of her naps? Should I cap her second nap at say 50m? Is it a sign of transition of 2to1? It sounds too early but she can definetely do 3h45m if I want a decent nap. At the same time just over 2h napping during the day seems too low for a 7.5month old. I'm confused and not sure what to do with her second nap. It also afects her BF as it seems too long in between her feeds (5+h)
Any idea?