Author Topic: Milk supply and EASY  (Read 1047 times)

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Milk supply and EASY
« on: September 06, 2014, 14:29:21 pm »
Hi. My DD is 14 weeks and we are on a 3 hour EASY. She seems comfortable with this and her weight gain is fine. The thing is, since 5 weeks, she has been sleeping through the night ie: 7 pm (ish)  to 7 am with a df at 10.30 (ish). So that means I am breastfeeding her a total of only 6 times in 24 hours. Is it normal? Could my supply be affected by this? Do you think I should pump in between? I already pump once after the first feed in the morning and just before going to bed. I used to wake up in the MOTN to pump but since she is sleeping I decided I should too since her day sleep is pretty crappy. I am very concerned about this because I'm determined to bf for as long as possible.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Milk supply and EASY
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 14:53:16 pm »
Do you have any reason to think your supply is being affected? If not then I would just carry on as you are. There is a big growth spurt at 4mo so you may find she starts feeding more anyway. If not then your supply should naturally stay level with demand.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 20:36:40 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 17:53:58 pm »
My DD3 sttn for 12 hrs a night from 4 weeks - 16 weeks (darn growth spurt ;)). It did not affect my supply at all and she was not having a df...she packed 6-7 feeds in during the day and that was all until she was 4 months and started being more active. From then on she had 2 nf's usually up to about 7 months and then 1 feed until maybe 9 months (I think - my memory gets more spotty with age!).
Heidi

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 13:43:41 pm »
Thank you both for your help. But now you've got me dreading the 4m growth spurt. Hadn't thought of it at all! Haha. Seems like there is always something new around the corner. As DH says. we are constantly going to be playing catch up :p Can I just ask though.. at 4m, she would move to a 4 hour EASY, right? So are all the extra feeds during the night? Or did you find your babies needing to eat more often during the day?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 14:06:32 pm »
You probably wouldn't want to move to a 4hr easy until after the growth spurt.  Many BF LOs are older than 4mo before they make it to 4hrly feeds.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 19:22:18 pm »
Mine did not make the 4 hr feed until closer to 5/6 months really. DD3 ate more all day and night during the growth spurt and then backed off to normal but kept the night feeds.
Heidi

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:24:01 am »
Thank you both. Will keep this in mind