Author Topic: 9 month - how much awake time? Only napping 20 min  (Read 1285 times)

Offline stoneybrook57

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 month - how much awake time? Only napping 20 min
« on: August 28, 2014, 20:42:28 pm »
Ok so i thought i had a perfect schedule (haha), when my son was 8 months he was on a great schedule.  It went like this:

7am - awake
10 am - 11:30am - nap
2:30 -4 - second nap
8ish - bed

suddenly once he hit about 8.5 months, he is waking up around 1am, (just started sitting up/crawling) and he will just sit up, fall down, sit up, fall down (playing) until around 2am
then he is up again around 5:30 or 6am and won't go back to sleep. 

The last two nights he slept pretty good at night, but is still waking up around 5:45am and staying up, yet will not nap more than 20 minutes during the day (twice today and the last two days he only napped twice for 20 min and then is up ready to play).

Can someone tell me where im going wrong, is it an age thing, should he be awake more than 3 hours now?  and how many night hours should they be getting (and how do you count that when they wake up for an hour or two in middle of the night.  He is still nursing.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 9 month - how much awake time? Only napping 20 min
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 18:27:13 pm »
bumping for you x

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 19:13:21 pm »
How long has it been?

Sounds very developmental to me if there are recent gross motor skills that are affecting both night and day sleep  :-\.

Routine is very age appropriate, but obviously he will tire if sleep is very disturbed so may need some short A times while he masters this new skill of his  ;).

Offline stoneybrook57

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 19:43:08 pm »
thanks for bumping!!  It's been a few weeks now, he's just off, but i guess you're right, he just started crawling, pulling himself to stand etc.  So that would cause short naps?

What is the typical awake time for a 9 month old?  I just get confused because if he does wake around 6:30 and i wait 4 hours, that means he is napping at 10:30 - 12 pm (1 1/2, is that too long)? and 4pm, which means he's sleeping till after 5.  Yesterday he had a late nap and was up until 11pm, wouldn't fall asleep and then was half awake all night. 

What is a typical nap schedule for a 9 mth old?  how long and how many?

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:35:22 am »
Typical at this age is 3+-4h A time. Mine is always on the low end and is doing just over 3. Some can do as much as 4. I'd say if you had that nice EASY a couple of weeks ago I would push to about 3h15 Too much more and you will get OT naps.

Usually 2 naps at this age and about a 12h day overall. 1.5h is about what I get for most naps.

Here's the link to typical EASYs: Sample EASY Routines from 0 - 13mths+
*Kate*

Offline stoneybrook57

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 20:07:50 pm »
thank you!  what time do you shoot for for bed?  He's getting up a lot at 3am wanting to play although so tired and it's taking about an hour to two hours to get him back.  thanks for your help, i never get notifications so i never knew you replied!