Author Topic: Anyone get MORE NWs while they STd??  (Read 1368 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Anyone get MORE NWs while they STd??
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:54:25 pm »
BFing had become a bit of a prop for H, esp at BT. However, it hadn't changed the number of NWs so I hadn't done anything to tackle it.  However , after sickness and hols it was clear that it was causing more NWs as she seemed to be losing the ability to resettle at night.

So for the last week or so I've been STing H (combination of pantley's gentle removal and shh-pat ) which seems to be working and she has settled really well for a few naps now by herself and is never BFd right to sleep at BT now , just to calm if she gets v upset then she settles in cot.

Anyway, so although we're not quite there yet we've def made quite a bit of progress this week.

HOWEVER, the number of NWs has gone up!!

Before it was about every 2hrs and now it is about hourly (until I bring her into my bed around 3am so we can get a bit more sleep, and then she wakes every two or so hours ..)

I googled and read that sometimes since she's not settling so peacefully as she used to at BT, this can cause more NWs.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Dyt the NWs are just cos I'm STing ATM or could it be something else??

Naps vary but she usually has at least one or sometimes two naps of around 1.5 hrs each day.  If one nap is short (usually 30-35 mins) then I apop a CN (go for a walk) late afternoon to get her through til BT.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Anyone get MORE NWs while they STd??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:56:29 am »
Hi hun, sorry you've not had a reply until now. Tbh we sleep trained early as I wasn't nursing so had so other choice!! So no btdt I'm afraid.

However, what I do know is that hourly WU's for us was/is usually discomfort. We're having them at atm as DD is teething her molars  ::). Any teething going on dyt? Don't think it's an OT issue or anything else. Considering she is settling for naps and BT better I wouldn't expect it's a prop issue, so i think it's just a process of elimination!

Offline cath~

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 14:54:30 pm »
Thanks Kelly.

She's just come down with a slight cold and has been super sleepy since yesterday afternoon (and kinda slept a little better last night) so maybe that was it :-\

I have suspected teething for about the last 2 mos or more but still no teeth so who knows on that front!

I guess it's perhaps not due to ST though like you say since it seems perhaps no one else has experienced this!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 18:02:59 pm »
Could be the cold then?

Be interested to see if anyone has had this problem as well regarding the ST and NW's, hopefully someone will pop by soon (or not, to confirm it was the cold!) to reassure you. Hope she gets better soon x

Offline cnndmrkn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 03:10:00 am »
BFing had become a bit of a prop for H, esp at BT. However, it hadn't changed the number of NWs so I hadn't done anything to tackle it.  However , after sickness and hols it was clear that it was causing more NWs as she seemed to be losing the ability to resettle at night.

So for the last week or so I've been STing H (combination of pantley's gentle removal and shh-pat ) which seems to be working and she has settled really well for a few naps now by herself and is never BFd right to sleep at BT now , just to calm if she gets v upset then she settles in cot.

Anyway, so although we're not quite there yet we've def made quite a bit of progress this week.

HOWEVER, the number of NWs has gone up!!

Before it was about every 2hrs and now it is about hourly (until I bring her into my bed around 3am so we can get a bit more sleep, and then she wakes every two or so hours ..)

I googled and read that sometimes since she's not settling so peacefully as she used to at BT, this can cause more NWs.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Dyt the NWs are just cos I'm STing ATM or could it be something else??

Naps vary but she usually has at least one or sometimes two naps of around 1.5 hrs each day.  If one nap is short (usually 30-35 mins) then I apop a CN (go for a walk) late afternoon to get her through til BT.

Hello. I looked into acronyms and abbreviations but i couldnt find the ones you used in your post. I am not a native speaker. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what "prop for H, esp at BT" - " I've been STing H" - "Dyt the NWs are just cos I'm STing ATM or could it be something else?"

Thank you so much in advance. Maybe i should start getting familiar writing TIA :)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:01:54 am »
Hi, there's a full list of abbreviations on the site here Site Acronyms/Abbreviations - What they are, and what they mean.

I hope that helps x

Offline cath~

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:08:02 am »
Sorry, I get a bit lazy sometimes and don't write it all out full.

I'm not sure all of them are in the link the PP (previous poster) posted, so just in case:

H is just my DD (darling daughter) (Harriet)

Esp = especially

BT = bedtime

STing = sleep training

DYT = do you think

NW = night waking

ATM = at the moment

HTH!  (= hope that helps :) )

DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old