Author Topic: SAHM likely switching to exclusive pumper at 7.5 months (Long, sorry!)  (Read 976 times)

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Since DS#2 was 2 months or so he has been an extremely fussy nurser. I think he expects a let down pretty much the second he latches. Over time he is becoming worse, where he won't even really eat like 2 feedings a day as he gets so upset. I have done compressions, pumped a little before, different nursing positions, etc. and nothing really helps enough to make him eat a good feeding. He started out as a bigger baby (8 lb 9 oz at birth) and was above 90th for weight at 2 weeks. Then he went down to 25th percentile at 2 months and has dropped a few percentiles each month. We are now at 8th percentile at 7 months and have just put him on generic Zantac for reflux which I suspected wasn't helping our issue all along but was hoping he would have grown out of at this point. (He also has milk and soy protein intolerances but I have c cut those both out of my diet for months now, this was more for a poop issue and didn't seem to help with nursing).

I usually nurse him around 6:45/7, 10:30/11, 2/3, 6 and 1 nighttime feeding (though 2 lately but he doesn't really eat at 1 of them just fusses). So usually 5 feedings a day. I have them spaced out that far because if I am not "full" enough, there is no chance he will eat so he has been on 3.5-4 hour spaced feedings for months now and probably needs them closer.

As of a month ago he will FINALLY take a bottle. When he sees a bottle, his face lights up and he downs it so quickly. I think he just doesn't like nursing as he doesn't have the patience but is really happy with a bottle.

I am a SAHM with a 2.5 year old as well. So I am thinking of going the exclusive pumping route to save us all stress as I get upset when he won't nurse and he obviously gets upset and won't eat. However, I have to be realistic with having 2 young kids. I am willing to do a formula bottle or 2 a day just so I can make it to giving him some BM for a full year.

Does my proposed pumping and feeding schedule seem silly?

Give him 5 bottles a day - 7 oz each
Pump at 6:30 AM, noon, 6:30 PM --- probably only enough for 3 bottles but not sure so 2 formula bottles/day (one in middle of the night)

Do you think I will totally loose my supply? I just went on Motherlove More Milk Plus yesterday to see if it would help my let down.

This is ALL new to me and I have pumped her or there but never very much since I am a SAHM. DS #1 loved to eat (like 8-10 time a day at 1 year old!) and was a patient nurser. I nursed him for 18 months and only stopped because I was a few months pregnant with DS #2 and nursing was a little uncomfortable plus I did not want to tandem nurse when the next baby came.

Thank you!

Sorry so long!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: SAHM likely switching to exclusive pumper at 7.5 months (Long, sorry!)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 19:10:04 pm »
Hugs, what a difficult time you seem to be having.  Do you think the Zantac might start to help soon?  Just wondering if you might find it worthwhile to hold out on stopping nursing in case the problem is resolved by the reflux meds he just started.

How does your body respond to a pump?  I think many mamas would struggle to pump 7ozs in one sitting so I'd probably try it at one feed for a few days at least before you stop nursing in case you find you're not getting that much.  Also what are you basing that amount on?  35oz of milk in 24hrs is definitely top end. 30oz or less would be more normal.

I don't think I would have had the time to pump three times a day with two LOs to look after.  If you do find yourself struggling you may be able to better pump before the boys get up in the morning and after they go down to sleep at night.  That would obviously cut into your Y time and be a big commitment.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 20:28:26 pm »
Thanks Ali. I have noticed the Motherlove herb blend is helping some and we are still just mainly nursing so hoping between that and Zantac that things will get better! He has eaten a little better the last few but really puts up a stink for that last feed (well really the last 2) Probably is just that tired and it is my time when I have the least milk.

If he doesn't get up from nap by 2:30, I have been pumping but its not too difficult as my older son is also napping. This gives like 3-3.5 hours for me to kind of fill up for out last feed. I have noticed he is back to just 1 night time feed at 4 AM and I am super dooper full. Same with the morning.

Do most women make considerably less in the afternoon and evening? If so the 4.5-5 oz I just pumped at 2:30 doesn't worry me.

I think I was basing the 7 oz bottles on what I had gotten a few times in the afternoon but realized that was only happening when he fed poorly at his 10:30/11 AM feeding. I agree that 30 oz is likely what I should strive for and I would be ecstatic if that is what I could make. I really hope the meds and herbs kick in and we can avoid the pumping scenario. Thanks for being honest about how tough you think it would be.

I will keep you guys posted.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 20:53:52 pm »
Yes it is definitely the norm for supply to be lowest in the evening. 4.30am is around the peak and then it goes down as the day goes on.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011