Author Topic: how to wean??  (Read 1162 times)

Offline ridingthetrain

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 02, 2014, 22:47:28 pm »
We are weaning my 10 month old (yes, I know its a little early, but its for some important personal reasons), and he seems unhappy about it. I used to BF him 4x/day, last 2 weeks went down to 3, and this week down to 2x, but he seems way more fussy. I have decided that the two times a day will be in the middle of the day, since I dont want him to wake up in the morning early just to BF (and I feel like that will be the hardest one to wean, so i should start with it now). and I dont want him to BF for his last meal right before bed, otherwise  if I left that for the last one to wean then he would be very upset that Im not feeding him and get too riled up to sleep.

Do I have good reasoning? Should I keep the morning or bedtime feed? How do I make sure I am not weaning him too fast?

thanks!

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: how to wean??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 23:02:35 pm »
My daughter was older but was pretty upset about being weaned BUT the upset really only lasted a few days. So honestly I wouldn't stress too much about which order to drop the feeds - do whatever works best for you, and if that means the bedtime feed is the last to go, know that it will only disrupt bedtime temporarily.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:08:57 am »
Are you offering formula feeds in place of the breast feeds you are dropping? At 10mo milk (breast or formula) still needs to be the main part of his nutrition.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:42:20 am »
^^ yes definitely this