Author Topic: A time for almost 8 month old  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Moo moo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:44:15 am »
Hi I hope someone can help with my son's routine.  I've recently posted in the sleep forum and got some really helpful advice from Kelly.  My son will be 8 months old in a week. He was napping well in the day but having a lot of NW .  now his naps are messing up too.

Here is an example day
7am wake up
9.30-11 nap
1.30-3pm
7pm bedtime
wakes 40 minutes after bedtime and then several night wakings

I know his A times are very short for his age and Kelly suggested I extended them. He used to always self settle for naps bur never at bedtime.  Possibly OT at bedtime? So I tried to gradually extend his A time in the day but he stopped self settling and started having short naps.  HELP PLEASE! 

I've kinda returned to my original routine as above because of this.  But now he only self settles for first nap.  He won't ss for second nap and now has started waking after 35/40 minutes?  Possibly UT? 
I could try to at least extend his second A time but he seems to get tired after 2 hours and gets grouchy.  Keeping him up for even 2.5 hrs seems a push.

Any advice please?  Should I first work on extending his second A time (even though he appears tired)?  I'm wovdering if I should leave his first A time as 2.5 hours for now as maybe he's tired from all the NWs?  Also I'm thinking the face he'll ss and gas a good nap in the morning maybe I should work on that A time later?

Sorry I'm just second guessing everything.  Always asking myself is he UT or It and what i could do different. 

During his NWs he appears tired but it can take ages to resettle him.

Thank you anyone who can help!

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: A time for almost 8 month old
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 20:32:45 pm »
How long did you stick with the new A times? I would give it a week at 3 hour A and see what you get. Any sign of teeth?

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Moo moo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 12:35:11 pm »
Thanks for replying! No sign of teeth!

I only gave it a couple of days trying 2 hours 45 minutes A time. As his self settling and nap duration got worse I thought I was doing the wrong thing by extending him. However based on your reply I will keep trying for longer.  Today for example,  he was tired after 2 hours 15 minutes A time in the afternoon. This was after a 2 hour morning nap (longer than usual). I managed to keep him awake for 2 and a half hours before his second nap but it was a real struggle. Hoe am I supposed to keep him up if he's that tired?  Then he seems OT when I do put him down!

Offline nevinsmama

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 18:13:37 pm »
How are things going now? He may be the sort to be extra sensitive to OT but I think if you just hold the new A times and maybe keep the last half an hour really mellow that he will adjust and get over that 35-40 minute bump better. Keep us posted! Hugs!

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Moo moo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »
Hi thanks a lot for checking in on me. Unfortunately my son has been ill with a bad cold and everything is out the windows are the moment! I've actually put him in my bbed for now and feed him constantly through the night. He has no routine at the moment!

Will update you once he recovers and things go back to normal! :)

Offline nevinsmama

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 19:51:14 pm »
Big hugs for both of you! Hope he gets well soon and you are able to muddle through and try to get some rest. We will be here :)

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Moo moo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:43:58 pm »
Thanks for your lovely message  :)