Author Topic: 1 year old--what is a typical day suppose to look like/gag issue also  (Read 2149 times)

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0

My son will be 1 next week and im at a loss as to what to do with his feeding routine. One of the issues im having is how/when do most babies give up their afternoon bottle? How much should he be taking?
Right now hes doing
730-breakfast ( cereal with pureed fruit--total half a cup or so)
930-6oz bottle

1230-lunch-
230-6oz bottle

5pm-dinner
7- 7oz bottle

He also has a major issue with a sensitive gag reflex so if anyone could offer finger foods that hes not likely to gag on id appreciate it tremendously! (other then banana and avocado)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 1 year old--what is a typical day suppose to look like/gag issue also
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 21:01:47 pm »
Hi there, sorry you didn't get any replies yet.

In the UK the guidance is to switch from bottles to sippy cup or straw cup at 12 months but many choose to continue with 1 or 2 bottles for a while longer. I think you'd be fine to drop that afternoon bottle by replacing it with a solids snack and a drink of water. I don't know about sensitive gags though, if there are any health issues I would consult your medical professional first.

I'll see if I can get any support on the gag for you.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 21:17:18 pm »
What finger foods are you giving at the moment? My two both had sensitive gag reflexes, my DD still frequently gags on certain textures and if her mouth is too full at 5 ::). Both my kids are tongue tied and are refluxers - does your LO have any issues like that?

The only thing that gets them over it is to let them practice really. Mine had finger foods with mush from 6 months and we had a lot of gagging and vomiting in the early days but it does pass as they learn to manipulate food. It's not pleasant to watch but I was always more bothered than they were, they just sorted it out and carried on. It's important to remember that gagging is not the same as choking and to keep calm so you don't scare them into really choking.

I gave mine finger shaped wedges of food and gave what we had, so pasta, toast, finger sandwiches, roast or steamed veg. Anything really! It needs to be big enough for them to hold in their hand and control themselves. I actually found that foods like banana were the worst for gagging because they get sticky in the mouth and harder to manipulate. 

Laura

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 21:22:14 pm »
Is it still formula you are giving in the  bottle? After 1yo he doesn't need formula unless he has particular medical requirements, he can get what he needs from solid foods.

My nephew has a very sensitive gag reflex. I would definitely get it checked out by a dr to ensure there is no medical issue. My nephew (now 5yo) has a large uvula (the bit that hangs down between the tonsils) and so does his father. It means he gags very easily and is often sick if he really gags. When younger any gagging led to him vomiting. Even now at 5yo if food goes down the wrong way he gags has to spit out all the food he is eating. Even touching the outside of his throat makes him gag. My sister even had to warn teachers about helping him at school with taking off his jumper because if it touches the front of his neck it makes him gag and be sick.

My nephew took a long time to move from purée to lumpy foods even and was definitely still on the 4-6mo textured food at 12mo. I seem to remember he completely skipped the lumpy foods stage and just moved on to finger foods. We still offered a variety of foods including meat and fish. As pp says foods that get stuck to the roof of the mouth are the worst. Bread and potato where particular culprits for my nephew.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 00:50:28 am »
I am giving him half formula and half whole milk currently until we switch right over soon. He does have a very sensitive gag reflex and all foods are a challenge. Id say most of the foods i give he gags and sometimes vomits. Its strange though because if i give him little pieces of something (say toast) while he is distracted he usually can eat a little without gagging.

My issue is what to feed him. He can only live off of homemade soups, yogurt, baby cereal/pureed fruit, and baby pastina pasta with pureed veg for so long... I just dont know what to do anymore.

The other question is say when hes 15mnths should i be giving him that bottle separately still as i am? If i give it to him in his straw cup he wont drink it unless its water... so i suppose im asking what going happens to his feeds in regards to amounts?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:09:58 am »
By 15mo he won't need whole milk in the same quantities he drank formula before 1yo. If you start giving him one feed in a cup now then he will be much better practised by 15mo. It' an acquired skill like any other :)

What does his doctor say about the gagging? Has he been checked for any anatomical abnormalities?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:47 am »
My issue is what to feed him. He can only live off of homemade soups, yogurt, baby cereal/pureed fruit, and baby pastina pasta with pureed veg for so long... I just dont know what to do anymore.

Thing is, if that ends up being all you give him (because of the gagging) he won't learn to deal with solid foods. Assuming all is OK anatomically, I'd ask for a referral to help you, but in the meantime keep giving those finger foods even if he is gagging. When he throws up is it just a little bit? Some gagging is really normal, it's how they learn to move food from the back of their throat into their mouth, so they're learning not to swallow before they're ready which is an important skill. Important too that we don't rush in to 'rescue' too soon, or act like it's something to be afraid of.

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 12:49:54 pm »
I will try in the afternoon to give his milk in a cup. The thing is do i give it right after his big lunch or after? I know he wont take more then an ounce at most but if i give it to him in the bottle he downs a 6oz bottle in 5min so im scared hes hungry!

When he gags he does vomits several of the times which is why solids is so hard because he throws up the "soft" meal he just had an we have to start all over again.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 12:52:04 pm »
how about doing finger foods first?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 14:38:45 pm »
What about just putting a cup of milk and some finger food out and letting him take what he wants? 

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 14:55:26 pm »
so here's the challenge with my little monkey... i have 10 minutes at most to feed him before he starts freaking out on me! I have been putting foods on his tray he feels them, acts like their yucky and throws them and the cup of milk on the floor--and repeat. Hence why i just feed him by the spoon.., its like a race against the clock.

THANK YOU SO MUCH LADIES FOR YOUR HELP THUS FAR!!!!!