Author Topic: 10mth eating very little  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Frostygrrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 08, 2014, 21:31:20 pm »
My lil one eats 3-4 tablespoons of food per sitting. 3 x daily. I read somewhere they need to consume 6 at this age. How can I get her to eat more so she could drop night feed.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 10mth eating very little
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:34:49 am »
Although 3-4 tablespoons at each meal doesn't look or sound a lot toddler portions are actually pretty small.  Portion sizes are impossible to pin down, following LOs appetite is the best guide some will need much larger portions and some much smaller.

I do know how it feels when you really want a guide to portions sizes, I also searched for info on this when DS was young. This information helped me...
1-2 tablespoons of veggies would be classed as a toddler portion and say 2 portions of veg per day, same with protein (meat, fish, beans). A quarter of a fresh fruit (about the size of LO's fist) or a few berries is a portion, again say 2 portions per day. A quarter cup of cereal or pasta would be a portion, or 3 little crackers, LOs tend to need more grains portions across the day so more like 6 servings.  Then the milk feeds and any dairy solids too.

So really if your LO has a smaller appetite her solids intake as it stands is probably filling her up.  I would look at the balance of food groups and the quantity eaten over a week rather than per meal or day as sometimes they will eat more fruit one day and more grains another which tends to balance out in the end.

If she is taking enough milk in the day you could probably drop the NF.  You might well find that she cannot increase her solids or milk intake in the day until the NF has gone. Perhaps a gradual wean?
Would you like to post your feeding routine?