Author Topic: Was hoping I wouldn't have to post  (Read 1990 times)

Offline jay2yay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Was hoping I wouldn't have to post
« on: September 09, 2014, 01:41:01 am »
I've just been trying to go with the flow but we've had enough days of rubbish naps and bed times that I'm gonna break down and post!

We start our day between 7 and 8. The earlier we start, the better it seems, but when we start at 8, I just kinda move everything back an hour. Does everyone else do this?

Here is our EASY

E 7AM
A
S 8 AM (this seems to be his shortest A time...he's so sleepy in the mornings)

E 10 AM
A
S 11/11:15

E 1 PM
A
S 2/2:30

E 4 PM
A
S 5/5:15 CN

E 6 PM
A
BT feed right before bed (which he seems frustrated with....like there's not much milk...it's either that or he's OT)
BT 7/7:30

So the issues are sometimes he wakes at 30 minutes, sometimes 40, sometimes 50 into his naps. He's pretty easy to settle but then he'll need settled every 10-15 minutes for the rest of the nap basically. Something is off because he won't go to bed. Or, he'll fall asleep easy and then wake up and lay there wide eyed for a long time. Sometimes he'll drift off eventually on his own but like tonight, I put him down at 8:30 (we started our day at 8 today) and he hasn't really fallen asleep yet and it's 9:40.

Thoughts? Because I feel we're all over the place, I can't tell if his A time is still 1 hour, 1:15, etc...I thought it needed extending but that backfired...
Justine

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Was hoping I wouldn't have to post
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 18:03:49 pm »
Hugs, it's hard going isn't it?

Your LO is coming up to 7 weeks, is that right?  1h-1h15 sounds about right A time wise but could you post a real day or two for us rather than the ideal EASY you're aiming for?  Do you bring your next nap early after an unsettled nap? Any issues like reflux that could be affecting sleep? Do you swaddle?

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:58:57 am »
He's just over 6 weeks, yes. He does have some spit up issues we're working out with a chiropractor and he seems to be getting better. I'm also still figuring out which foods trigger more spit up. It does affect his sleeping sometimes but not always. Here's today:

E 7 AM (we were both in and out of sleeping, I think)
A
S 8:30 (Our routine is I put on whitenoise, close blinds, swaddle, and hold him. I've been experimenting with how he does if I put him down sooner or hold him longer. Using the paci vs. not using it, etc. For this nap, I used the paci and held him for awhile...he was pretty much sleeping when I put him down. He woke up at 9, I think. I was exhausted this morning so DS2 was watching tv and I was laying down. I brought him into bed with me. AP, I know, but we plan on co-sleeping anyway, so I'm not too worried about that part...and this is only the first or second time I've done it during a nap because I'm not usually laying down. He woke up one other time while we were in bed and I just kinda shushed him back to sleep.)

E 10 AM
A
S 11: something...ugh, can't remember. But this nap was awful. He woke up and I dedicated my time to patting him. He'd settle and fall back asleep, I'd continue to pat. Several minutes would go by and he'd jolt awake, sometimes cry, sometimes not, and we start the process over again. I was in there with him probably 45 minutes and he never really fell off. Then he woke a final time and it was time to eat anyway.

E 1 PM
A
S 2 PM- This time I put him down faster and he dosed off on his own. He woke up at 45 minutes. Would cry, then calm, then cry, then calm. When I went in, he looked exhausted and within a couple pats, his eyes were closed and he was calm. But then we "did the dance". He'd jolt, cry, calm, jolt, cry, calm. I'm patting and shushing the entire time. He did spit up a couple times during this. After 30 minutes of this, I picked him up. He calmed down but still did the jolt, cry, calm thing even in my arms. I held him until it was time to feed and he never really fell into a deep sleep.

E 4 PM
A
S 5 PM in the sling CN

E 6 PM
A
S 7 PM.....tonight isn't a good gauge for how things go because we had to be out at a friend's house.
Justine

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 07:37:15 am »
I think probably what happened was the first A was too long (DS is just handling 1h30 at 14 weeks) and followed by an unsettled nap which sent you into an OT spiral for the rest of the day.  I would try to have him down for 1h-1h10 and see if thats any better.

How do you plan on doing naps long term if you don't mind me asking? Assuming the co-sleeping is for nights? I have no experience with chiropractor for reflux but if his symptoms are not controlled (some babies do need medicating for full control) then that will also impact on sleep. Assuming you are doing simple things like elevating mattress and holding upright after feeds?

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 14:47:33 pm »
Will try a short A time in the mornings....they usually are an hour. I think the reason it was a little longer was because we both fell back asleep after the feed - I don't really know tho. LOL, it's always such a blur in the mornings. This morning was another "off" morning because we had to get in the car to drive DH to work. It was right around his nap time so that at least was good. I heard him a couple times during the car ride but he was sleeping for most of it. When we got home, he still had about an hour to go for his nap. I took him out of the carseat, swaddled, and laid him down. He woke up crying a few times but every time he went back to sleep on his own and finished the nap. So that's good! He's just waking up now so we'll see how the rest of the day goes....

His reflux isn't horrible...the chiropractor thinks he'll only need a few adjustments. His diaphragm was way up high and every time we go, she pushed it down a little more. Each week his spit up gets better. We go again on Friday. And yes, all mattresses are elevated except for ours and I hold him up after feeds. He's not in our bed full time during the night yet either. He's mostly in the co-sleeper or pac-n-play.

Naps long term.....I was figuring this time around I'd have to be more flexible with having DS1 and I also have two older step kids. For the most part, he's been napping in his pac-n-play. I usually wear him in the wrap for his CN. If we're out and about, he naps in the wrap (or the carseat if we're driving). I try so so hard not to transfer him to the wrap if he's having a bad nap in the pac-n-play. It's really rarely happened- I try to keep him in there as long as possible unless DS1 really needs me or something.
Justine

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 09:58:43 am »
How are things going?

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 00:41:43 am »
Thanks for checking in!! I tracked another full day and now I can't find my sheet! But it was another day full of broken naps. Today was interesting though. We were out this morning for church but for his afternoon nap, he woke about 50 minutes into it. I had to paci/calm him twice within like 20 minutes. But then after that he slept another hour and a half!

His poop was greenish today for the first time. For the next two weeks, I'll be doing an elimination diet to experiment.

Also, we gave him his first bottle tonight for his bed time feed. The way we do things is I feed him when he gets up from his CN, and then I feed him before bed which is only an hour to an hour and a half later. It never seemed like I had much supply and he always seemed kind of frustrated. He took the bottle right away but only drank 2 ounces. Do you think he's just not hungry at that time? He's still waking twice at night most nights so been trying to figure out the best way to bulk him up. I usually  do a BF DF and he usually takes one side, sometimes two. But tonight I may try to give him the rest of the 4 ounces left in this bottle.
Justine

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 00:43:56 am »
I also just pumped since we gave him a bottle. I got just under 3 ounces which is definitely less than normal. I usually get 4-5 ounces.
Justine

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 07:50:28 am »
Great nap!

Remember pumping is not a reliable indicator of supply as LOs are far more efficient at emptying the breast than a pump. If you are feeding after his CN then quite possibly he isn't hungry at BT. What times do you usually feed in the day? Just wondering if we could re-jig a bit so he takes a better feed at BT?  Has he taken bottles before or was this his first time?

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 22:00:13 pm »
That was his first time. He generally eats at 7, 10, 1, 4, and then after his CN around 6, then before bed which is an hour to and hour and a half after he wakes from his CN so 7/7:30. Then DF at 11. He took a bottle at his DF last night, drank 4 oz, and woke up to eat at 3:30 and 6. We didn't get up for the day until 7:30ish.

We had a much better day today. His first two naps were great. He did wake after 30 minutes in his first nap but fell back asleep for the remainder. Then the second nap, he didn't wake up at all but woke up and ended up eating 2.5 hours after his last feed. But it was still 1.5 hr nap. His afternoon nap was more rough...pretty unsettled for the first bit then once he was asleep woke up 30 minutes later and wouldn't settle. I picked him up and he still wouldn't fall asleep in my arms and was rooting like crazy. So I fed him which was again only 2.5 hours since last feed. Perhaps he's in a GS. He's CNing now and I'm about to wake him up. I think his A time is even shorter than I thought. For his first two naps, I began his wind down routine only 45 minutes after he woke up bc he was yawning. He didn't actually fall asleep until 1 hr-1h10m but then slept much better. Before, I didn't start his wind down until about 1 hr.

Thanks so much for looking over all this with me. :) :)
Justine

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 18:56:07 pm »
If it was his first ever bottle I wouldn't read anything into how much he took. It's a new experience for him and he may well take much more from the breast at that time because that's what he's used to.  If it were me I would cut out the feed after the CN and just feed at BT, or if you prefer splitting the feed then do one side after the CN and the other at BT. My DS acts frustrated at the breast if he's not actually hungry and will be much more settled when he's really ready to eat.

Glad you had a better day :)

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 13:49:36 pm »
Yes, that's what we've been getting at BT is frustration at the breast! Okay, I will try that idea!

This morning for his first nap, I laid him down drowsy but awake.. more awake than I normally lay him down. He cooed himself to sleep. It was over 1hr15m awake time by the time he was asleep although I swaddled him before it was an hour. He woke up 50 minutes later and I had to settle him. Then he kept waking, crying hard for a second, then would fall back to sleep, cry hard for a second, back to sleep, etc. Any idea what that usually means?

Sorry to keep bugging you! I know things will work themselves out eventually!
Justine

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 15:57:21 pm »
yep we are consistently waking at 50 minutes!
Justine

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 03:20:23 am »
bleh, gosh, I don't know. I gave him the side with less supply after the CN and I could tell he really wanted that other side. The next hour was a rather crabby one. By the time it was bed time, he was quite ravenous and got really frustrated after finishing on my other side. I switched him back to the other side and he just remained frustrated after a few sucks. I calmed him and put him down but he would not go to sleep. Just laid there for over an hour. Finally he started crying and DH couldn't calm him. He said he swore he was hungry and I thought maybe just OT cues, but when I picked him up he pretty much attacked my boob. So I fed him on the "better" side...he ate for awhile and fell asleep at the breast. This was only 1.5 hrs after his BT feed.

But because that was at like 8:30, he wouldn't take the DF :-/
Justine

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 19:24:19 pm »
50 mins could be an UT nap, like he's still tired but not tired enough to drop off properly into a second sleep cycle.  Hugs for the crabby BT, we're getting a lot of those at the moment - DS is not a relaxed feeder!  Like a fight every time ::) do you think he was tired or just hungry?