Author Topic: 6 1/2 week milk quantity  (Read 1642 times)

Offline LittleLegs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:55:45 am »
Hi.

I'm not sure if this is an E or a S query or both!

My LO is just over 6 weeks. Is on a 4 hourly feed and now has a dummy as he's always trying to suck his fingers. Since the day he was born he's only been up once in the night between 2 and 3 am.  What I find bizarre is that 6 weeks on nothing has changed and he is still up at the same (ish) time.  We offer 5oz at each feed and it is rare that he takes any more than 3.5oz each time.

He has size 1 teats in anti-colic tommee tippee bottles (so not really free flowing).

Are his night feeds staying the same because he's not consuming enough milk in the day to bulk him up? Is he not drinking a lot because he has a dummy in the daytime? Could he need faster flowing teats?

He has feeds at 7am, 11am, 3pm and bedtime feed starting around 6:45pm and a dreamfeed at 10-10:30 pm (he woke up for this last night).

Look forwards to hearing your thoughts  ???
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:58:10 am by LittleLegs »

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 6 1/2 week milk quantity
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 12:16:40 pm »
How long does it take him to drink his bottles? If it is taking more than 15/20 mins then I would increase the size. The amount he takes is a little low for 6 weeks, a faster teat should help that.

I wouldn't expect the nightfeed to get less for a long time yet, only feeding once at night is really good for his age!

Laura

Offline LittleLegs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 12:50:12 pm »
Thank you

I'll grab some faster flowing teats when I go to the shops and give them a try. Something's telling me that will help too but always good to get others' views. His feeds only take about 20 minutes but for 3.5oz perhaps that's slow? My only concern was whether he would struggle with wind more.  He gets some good burps up but I know he holds onto a lot but it doesn't appear to bother him much.  I try not to wind part way through the bottle like I did before as I believe he'll have had enough and not take anymore milk but so I need to wind more frequently with faster teats? (Sorry if that's dim question!).

I just thought it should be stretching out a bit at night, not the same since he was born.  I think I'm comparing him too much to my eldest son who dropped the night feed and slept til 6:30am before 6 weeks and continued to but he didn't leave some milk at each feed.

Offline LittleLegs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:41:19 am »
Just an update: we used faster teats for both feeds today and it seems to have done the trick - whoop whoop! He had just over 4oz and then 5oz at the next feed.  Hopefully I'm not talking too soon!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 6 1/2 week milk quantity
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 20:36:53 pm »
Good! Let us know how it's going!

Laura