Author Topic: How to start Fingerfoods?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How to start Fingerfoods?
« on: September 10, 2014, 15:48:37 pm »
Just wondering how to get my 7mo to go from sorta touching whats on his tray to actually putting it in his mouth?
He pretty much will eat anything I give him, except Kale (haha, ok bad choice I know) off of a spoon. But so far, he"ll only grab and munch on crunchy cracker things.
I'd love to see him do veg or fruit. So far, Ive been offering him a scrambled egg.
Do I just keep offering? Or should I try something else?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How to start Fingerfoods?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 17:36:12 pm »
I would just keep offering. Maybe he finds the dry crackers easier to pick up? You could offer similar things such as toast fingers, pitta bread, naan or tortilla fingers, whilst they are still carbs foods they would still expand his experience.  Do you ever roast veggies, you can oven bake with or without a little oil and they will be drier on the outside (and crunchy such as roast potato) and soft on the inside.

If he isn't too interested I wouldn't go to too much trouble preparing lots of different finger foods for him, I'd probably just offer something suitable from the family meal so you aren't cooking twice. He may also be more interested if he sees you eating the same thing, at the same time.

Offline Kirsten~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: How to start Fingerfoods?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 17:54:25 pm »
We did things like hummus at this age. It's messy, but works. It's hard at this age bc you worry about choking, but they also can't pick up really small things. Avoid slimy foods like banana and avocado. Those were too hard for our DD to get off the tray. We also did a lot of French cut green beans. They are thin, so can easily slide down the throat, but are long, so easy for young LO to pick up.

Offline josie30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 18:59:50 pm »
We did baby led weaning and pretty much gave DD whatever we were having but cut veg etc into finger length sticks so easier to hold. She used to love knowing on broccoli and cauliflower etc. I'd say just offer everything and don't worry about the mess, reminder food before 1 is just for fun!