Author Topic: Question about my 13.5 week old waking  (Read 920 times)

Offline Kanson01

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 11, 2014, 14:21:03 pm »
My 13.5 week old  has been on EASY since 1 week old. Around 12 weeks, he started stretching out his day feedings to 3.5-4 hours instead of 3 hours and taking 5.5-6.5 oz instead of 3-4. What this means is that he basically moved to a 4 hour EASY on his own (I know the normal time for this is 4 months, but there is no feeding this guy unless he is really hungry + this helped rather than hindered night waking). When he started taking bigger bottles, he also started sleeping between 9 and 11 hours at night without waking vs. the 3 or 4 hour stretches that he had slept before. So I would often see him sleep from 7 pm - 6:00 am or something like that. Since then, if he wakes in the middle of the night (midnight, 2 or 3 etc.) I give him a paci and shh pat and if he goes down easily I don't feed.

However, sometimes he wakes up around 4 or 4:30, which to me is still a long stretch of sleep if he has gone to bed between 7 and 8. I usually feed him during this time, and it does usually throw off our EASY a little bit the next day. I noticed that sometimes I hear him stir around 4 or 4:30 but he will go back to sleep. So I am wondering if maybe the times he wakes up that early are times where he stirs but wakes completely and can't put himself back down. Should I not feed him? I'm pretty sure he's hungry (smacking his lips plus I know it's been 8 or 9 hours since he ate!) but doesn't take quite a full bottle (usually only 4.5 oz or so vs. 6 or 6.5), so that makes me think that he could hold out until 6 or 7 am but just needs help getting off to sleep.

I don't want to create a bad early waking habit, but I also don't want to not feed if he needs it.

So to summarize: Since I know he can sometimes sleep all the way until 6 or 7, should I give paci and shh pat and even pick up to get him back to sleep if he wakes up in the early hours before 6, or should I assume hunger because of his signs and his age and go ahead and feed?

Thank you!

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Question about my 13.5 week old waking
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 03:50:55 am »
At this young age, I would definitely recommend you feed him if he is hungry.  It sounds like he has some great sleep habits, which is wonderful for you but do keep in mind how young he still is.  If he needs a little top up, that's totally fine.  Over time, he'll likely phase this feed out on his own.   

Offline Kanson01

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Question about my 13.5 week old waking
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:29:21 am »
Thanks so much for your reply! Ok for the last 4 nights he has woken up at 3:00, 12:30 am, then 3 then 1:30 am. He is definitely going back to sleep with just paci and shh pat- doesn't seem hungry. Any ideas on where these wakings are coming from? He doesn't feed to sleep a any nap times, but before bed if he dozes off on the bottle, we do let him so he can get the maximum ounces/calories before bed. However even then he usually is not in deep sleep when we put him down. When we put him down for each nap and before bed he almost always requires some shh pat either to calm before he is in bed or to calm once he is in bed (we aren't to the point where I just say goodnight, put him down totally awake and leave). We also use a paci to calm and if he wakes in middle of the night, but he doesn't sleep with it in his mouth so I don't think it's a prop.

Could the above things have become AP? What more could I be doing to encourage independent sleep?