Author Topic: 14 wo Feeding every 1.5-2 hours day and night  (Read 1022 times)

Offline *foxy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
14 wo Feeding every 1.5-2 hours day and night
« on: September 12, 2014, 17:05:05 pm »
DS is 14 wo and feeds every 1.5-2 hours day and night. He's very unsettled at night.  He's on ranitidine for silent reflux - maybe hrs doing it for comfort? He has dropped from the 91st to around the 60th percentile. I have a strong letdown so he doesn't feed for long, maybe 10-15 mins.

I'm not sure if this is normal? He was hardly feeding at all during the day at one point but now it seems like he's feeding all the time! Could it be he's only getting foremilk? Could I have poor quality milk? I'm exhausted! And don't always eat as well as I should do

*Kate*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 14 wo Feeding every 1.5-2 hours day and night
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 15:48:22 pm »
Has his ranitidine been checked lately that the dose is still appropriate to his weight? Some LOs don't respond well to ranitidine and need something stronger like a PPI. If you think it is reflux then I'd get him reviewed by the dr again.

Is your dr or HV concerned about his weight? 10-15 min feeds is ample for many LOs at this age. Mine were down to 6 and 8 minutes by this age.

Have a read on our FAQ which has ideas on how to deal with overactive letdown. Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *foxy*

• Showing Appreciation 10
Re: 14 wo Feeding every 1.5-2 hours day and night
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 16:21:39 pm »
Hi

He's only been in ranitidine for 9 days so I guess there's still time for it to take affect? I've booked a review with the GP a week on Monday. The HV said he should really be putting on more weight. They are coming round to the house next week to check how he feeds etc.

Thanks - I've read up on forceful letdown. It's not so bad anymore as I'm never really very full! I looked at the links to kellymom too.

I guess he'll grow out of it? Last night was just awful. He was SO unsettled. I lost count how many times he woke up

*Kate*