Author Topic: pumping not going well!  (Read 2408 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
pumping not going well!
« on: September 15, 2014, 03:22:04 am »
When I first started pumping it was great...I could easily get 3 oz from one breast. I haven't pumped in a while...just haven't needed to since I'm at home and I had a bit of a supply built. Well the supply had slowly been dwindling since my mom watches ds one mor in a week while I drop off dd at school and get groceries. I've pumped twice this week and after doing 15 min in each breast I've only managed 2 oz total!! What could cause this? I've also noticed I don't feel my let down like before. Ds seems to be getting enough when he feeds and I know that they are more efficient but with the change in how much I've been able to pump on top of not really noticing my let down I'm a little freaked out.

[/url]

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:03:19 am »
I wouldn't be too worried - I would even say it's perfectly normal, but in details:
1. Pumping in first 6 weeks was always very effective for us because this is a period when lactation is crazy:). It was easy to introduce a new pumping session these days and I was easily getting 3-4oz per one session, even in the late evening (I had a break from BF between 7pm and 12-1pm so I pumped at 9-10pm).
2. After first 6-8 weeks when you are adding a new pumping session it will take time to make your breast to get the message - so don't feel discouraged after 2-3 days.
3. It's important to plan your pumping session wisely. Pumping in the late evening when you have the longest break between feeds and kids are asleep is easy, but also after the whole day of BF, many mums cannot get much out of a pumping session. You can think of pumping just after the morning feed or even just before the morning feed as after night there usually is plenty of milk for both your DS and your pump:).
4. I had problems with letdown when firstly using a pump, so I usually went to bathroom, did myself a warm bath, watch some DS photos or short films and it helped!

When I reintroduced a pumping session when DS was 12wo after 6 weeks break and for the first week I wasn't pumping much... 1-3oz, sometimes nothing as no let down. After a week maybe I was almost consitently getting around 3oz of milk when pumping around 10-11pm after 7pm last feed. But it all depends!

So good luck and don't feel discouraged. You just have to find your way how to do it effectively!
~Marta

Offline 1stimer

Re: pumping not going well!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 13:37:26 pm »
Yes I guess that does make sense...back then was was pumping almost everyday so I need to get back in the habit of it. And I have been pumping at night so I'll switch it to the am to see if that helps :) Thanks for easing my fears. I've really enjoyed bf ds and don't want it to be cut short! !

[/url]

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 17:34:05 pm »
I would try after the morning feed as pumping in the evening can be tiring! I remember days when was literally crushing on my bed at 7:30pm just after DS but need to put my alarm on to pump at 10pm, iiiick! I was pumping for DF however so that's also a different story!
~Marta

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 18:55:26 pm »
Lol yes that's similar to how I am now. I am ready for bed after I get ds down but I know I gotta df at 10 so I'm exhausted...esp since Ds is still up every 2 hrs.

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 20:18:24 pm »
As pp says pumping in the early weeks is easier. That is because the milk is produced by hormones and stored in the breast ready for use so all the pump has to do is suck it out. In the later weeks when supply has stabilised it is regulated by supply and demand and produced more during a feed than in advance. Since pumps aren't usually as efficient at stimulating milk production as LO is it becomes harder to get milk with the pump.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 15:56:28 pm »
I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to have enough EBF for him if/when I go back to work just once a week or even if me and dh Ho out to dinner one night ...

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 20:20:57 pm »
I would pick a time when you will be able to pump every day and see if your supply adjusts as it gets used to the demand from the pump.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 23:29:08 pm »
Ok...I'll try and do it in the am at the same time. I guess if he gets what he needs whwn he BFs its not thw end of the world if i do have to supplement once in a blue moon but i definitely want to try and get a good supply going again. Thanks!!!

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »
I got more this morning so I'm happy to see progress!! I'm sure it helped that for the first time ever ds went from his 1000 df to 230 and then he didn't wake up until 630!!!!!  I think he must have known that the 2 hr feeds were getting to me so he gave me a break last night :)

[/url]

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 12:15:46 pm »
LOL:)

Good that you see progress. Don't feel discouraged if you will get less some days as it may differ between days. I generally was taking about 3oz in the evening when pumping was established, but some days I could get 4oz and other days was only 2oz.
I also pumped often after morning feed and here depending on DS appetite at 7am, I could take from 10ml to 110ml:).
~Marta

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 13:45:49 pm »
Do you think I could try and pump twice a day or just stick to once for now?

[/url]

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 17:35:50 pm »
It all depends on you. There was time I was pumping after every feed (crazy!!!) to get enough milk for a dream feed as I wanted it to be only BM not formula. Now when I think of it, I was too freaked out about not giving formula...:). Not sure if I would do it next time. I would probably be more flexible and do mixed feeding earlier. But that all has to be a personal decision. I didn't started formula before 4,5mo if I am correct and on one side I am proud I got there, on the second hand I remember how tiring it was to pump all the time so...

Whatever you decide, do what you think is the best for both you and you DS. And it will be good:).
~Marta

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 19:25:46 pm »
Yes if you have time to pump twice the by all means do it

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 09:20:42 am »
Can I just share my tip from last time? The only way I could ever get anything on the pump with DS was to pump at the same time as feeding, so him on one side, pump on the other! I could usually get a bit more from the side he'd fed on too. When I went back to work he was feeding first thing in the morning, after morning nap and at BT, I worked 3 days. Every morning I'd pump as he fed, and ended up with 6oz to give to the childminder 3 days a week, plus some spare to freeze for when I had to work late and miss BT. I did find the amount I got increased over time. Just something else to try if you like!

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 19:50:18 pm »
That's a great idea...I may try that at his next feed. I was doing well last week pumping the same time in the morning but this week has been crazy in the mornings so I haven't had any time to pump in the am...I've been doing it in the pm but I literally got half an oz. I'm still trying though. So worst case scenario I have to supplement with formula when I work 1 day a week...is there a special kind??

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 09:47:02 am »
I don't know much about the difference between one formula and the next but have asked if anyone else knows :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 12:50:45 pm »
I think the US ones are similar to what is available up here...quite a few name brands like Nestle, Similac, Enfamil and all sorts of store brands (most of which are off label versions of brand names - Costco Kirkland formula is made by Similac I believe). I used Similac for my older two and Nestle Good Start for DD3 as she seemed to tolerate it better (it is a patially broken down formula, kind of a mid stage between regular ones and hypoallergenic ones). Hth!
Heidi