Author Topic: Baby cereal - what would you recommend  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:09:22 pm »
Hello Ladies

I would have some questions about what kind of cereal you give to your babies, if any:), when you start and how much do you give.

What happened to us 1-2 weeks ago is no appetite at all for almost half of a day after cereal breakfast. He ate approx 6-7oz milk in a bottle followed by 1oz milk with 1tbsp of wheat-oats cereal and 2 tbsp of fruits (fed immediately after a milk feed so 7:15am and 7:30 let say). At 11 he was barely eating 70-100ml of milk and no interest in solids at all. At 2:30pm when he usually takes 7-8oz bottle, he was taking 4-5oz bottle. I cut out cereal in the morning and after 2-3 days he is eating normal portions right now.
Did you also face such a situation? I am curious what was the reason. Cereal was wheat-oats mix with some dried plum, he was not constipated at all. I feed him with rice cereal at 5pm and he still takes full bottle at BT so I don't know what could be the reason that morning cereal was so filling for him. After a week of no cereal at all in the morning (only fruits), I am introducing cereal once again but starting from 10ml with 1tsp of cereal right now and I changed cereal for oats one. I do not see the drop in milk intake right now and he is eager to eat his lunch at 11am,  but I am afraid the situation will come back.

Any advice, BTDT? Would be very grateful!!!
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby cereal - what would you recommend
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:05:22 am »
Sorry no BTDT but I would have done the same thing to cut back on the cereal for a few days.  It might have just been a blip that day that he felt so full.

And bumping for you x

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:51:43 pm »
I gave M Nestle Zdrowy Brzuszek - it's only one I could find that didn't have sugar added. They do 2 types and I varied it by adding different types of fruit pure.
It doesn't have milk though, so you have to mix it with formula or water.
If you get it thick enough you can stick it to a spoon so they can feed themselves

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:15:32 am »
Frankly speaking, I tried exactly Nestle Zdrowy Brzuszek and that's the cereal which made a problem:). Now I have reintroduced cereal but chose Holle Oat Cereal (an organic one) and I am givinf only 10ml of milk and 1tsp of cereal and it seems ok for now. Will try to increase cereal slightly by weeks, but I am still curious what was the problem last time.

Maybe it is about wheat cereals?
~Marta

Offline eva026

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:32:15 am »
Maybe, those have a mix of cereals in them.
Have you tried oatmeal?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 12:09:34 pm »
Czy kaszka owsiana to to samo co owsianka:)?
~Marta

Offline eva026

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 13:04:03 pm »
Hmmm I think kaszka owsiana is oats ground so fine babies can eat them and owsianka is more like rolled oats, so bigger pieces.
They don't contain gluten.
The zdrowy brzuszek has oats and some other grains so has gluten for sure. Maybe that was the problem?