Author Topic: First Time Dad - advice needed please  (Read 1178 times)

Offline vspede

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 18, 2014, 04:28:41 am »
First I want to thank the book in helping me sort out what to do and not to do.  I was literally at my wit's end sleeping only 2 hours a day for the first 4 days until a friend of mine gave me this book.  I had no idea what to do and my wife and I have no one to give us help.  I still haven't finished through it yet but it has helped me immensely in scheduling feeds and how to help put my baby to sleep.

My little one is 7 pounds 8 ounces and I believe (from the book) he is supposed to be on the 2 hour easy schedule so that if he feeds at 8 am and I put him down to sleep at 9 am, I have to wake him up at 10 am to feed again.

I've been trying to keep track of his feedings and they go as such (he is 14 days old):

1:50 am 60 cc
4:30 am breastfeed
5:00 am breastfeed
8:00 am breastfeed
10:20 am 60 cc
12:30 pm breastfeed
2:30 pm breastfeed
3:50 pm breastfeed
6:00 pm breastfeed
8:00 pm breastfeed
10:00 pm 60 cc
12:00 am 60cc

I am hoping this is right, and if it isn't, I would love to get advice.  Also a ton of questions if anyone can assist.

1. My baby hates the swaddle.  He screams and yells and always loves to have his hands up.  Frankly I've given up and I've tried 4 different types of swaddles.  Is it really that important to swaddle?

2. My baby hates the crib.  Everytime I put him down in the bassinet, he cries.  I've tried holding him for an hour and having him fall asleep in my arms and then putting him in the crib.  This works only 1/2 the time as the other 1/2 he wakes up and starts crying.  The only consistent thing he likes to sleep on is this Newborn Lounger (big pillow with dent in middle).  But I heard its bad for babies.  Shush-Pat method is hit or miss.  Any ideas on how to make him sleep in his crib or should I give up.

3. I know the book states that Activity time also includes diaper changes.  However, I find that the baby is always extremely sleepy after feed and totally wakes up after the diaper change and is hard to put down.  Is it ok to wake up baby for diaper change and then feed?

4.  If baby is passed out on feed (as he usually is) is it ok to skip activity time?  Or should I keep him occupied?

5. When is it ok to switch from 2 hour schedule to 3 hour schedule EASY?

Thanks again for any help.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: First Time Dad - advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 20:02:12 pm »
Hi and welcome, it's great to see a Dad on here :D. You're a small but very select (and very welcome!) group!!

Congratulations on your LO :). You may find this link helpful as breastfeeding research and advice has changed quite a bit since the books were published: Breastfeeding and EASY in the first few weeks We like to think that Tracy would have updated her books to reflect this had she lived longer.

I probably wouldn't wake LO to feed any more frequently than 3 hourly in the day and maybe up to 4 hourly at night. Of course feed more often if LO demands, but if he is sleeping let him rest.  You'll probably find trying to get him to feed every 2h he won't actually take good feeds because he'll be too tired. 

Swaddling is a personal choice.  I have never swaddled mine and they have done ok without it.  But those who have persisted past the fighting (which most LOs seem to do) find them immensely valuable.  I know some people here have used things like the Woombie, swaddle pod or similar and found them easier than a traditional swaddle so if you do want to carry on they may be worth investigating.

Your baby doesn't hate the crib, he's just being a normal baby :). He's been held and rocked and soothed in a cuddled-up small space for the previous nine months of his existence, so the very idea of lying on a flat mattress surrounded by space is incredibly alien to him.  He's only two weeks and I cannot emphasise enough how much you should enjoy just getting to know him at this stage, and give him all the help he needs.  I think you may find this useful: Getting started - how I survived the first 3 months My DS started to settle a little better in the crib between 8-10 weeks and by around 12-13 weeks was sleeping much better there than in the car, pram, sling etc, whereas before it was completely the reverse.  I held him for almost every nap up to 8 weeks (and a good many after that too) but now at 15 weeks he is very much an independent sleeper.  So don't panic just yet :)

The reason we suggest a diaper change after a feed is to start the pattern of eat, activity, sleep and to separate eating from sleeping.  That said, at this age it can be hard to do so my personal feeling would be to do what works for now, and in a few short weeks you will probably find that it's easier to have a little bit of awake time post-feed without LO getting OT.  If LO falls asleep during the feed, again at this age I would just let him sleep.  If he's tired, he needs to rest.  The exception to this would be if you are getting virtually no A time in the day and long wakeful periods at night as you may have some day-night reversal going on, but I don't get the impression that's the case at the moment?

2/2.5/3h EASY.....I would just keep a loose EAS structure in mind for the time being, and follow LOs cues for now instead of worrying about exact timings.  Like I said I would probably wake to feed by 3h in the day but sometimes the EAS cycles may be shorter and sometimes longer, that's ok.  There are so many huge changes in the first few weeks that what works one day will be totally different the next. 

I think in summary I would say keep your expectations of routine at this stage low, enjoy having this new LO, get to know him, learn his cues, and keep an EAS structure in mind - and you'll do great :). Hope that helps.

Offline vspede

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:02:05 am »
Thank you so much.  I have to admit, I loved my son from the moment I saw him but I have never felt so lost and afraid.  When he was born he had trouble latching and my wife and I were extremely worried when the nurses told us he had already lost 12% of his body weight.  I think because of that we've been trying to feed him non stop. 

I've tried reading up as much as I can, but it wasn't until this book that really helped me put things in place.  I have to admit, I feel sometimes worthless that I haven't been able to decipher my son's cries or sometimes I can't sooth him to sleep. 

In regards to the wake up times of 3 hour day/4 hour night, would that be applicable to a 18 day old?  This is because, I thought I had read that "waking up and crying" was a late sign of hunger and that was thought to be generally not good?

I am thinking of trying this instead of our current 2 hour round the clock waking.  It actually might be why he tends to spit up so much milk and has these random long times of staying awake.

Again, thank you so much for your help and your words.  They really help me look forward to when I will be able to be a better parent.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 18:47:51 pm »
I have to admit, I feel sometimes worthless that I haven't been able to decipher my son's cries
Honestly there are heaps of parents that can't decipher cries, I am one of them but there are plenty of others!  And in the early days it can make you feel so useless can't it? Like some language that you weren't taught? The EASY routine helps so much with that and actually in the end you will 'look' as though you know exactly what your LO needs and exactly what those cries mean because (when things settle down a bit, it's still early days for you) when the routine is established you will know at each point of the day where you are up to in the routine and will use those cries/fusses/mutters/fidgets as signs to move on to the next part of the routine. As example my mum would always think my LO was hungry when he cried but I knew he'd been fed and was actually asking for his bed to sleep.
Just wanted you to know you are not alone. Sounds like you and your DW are doing a great job :)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:21:19 am »
I totally agree, you sound like you are a great Dad already :D and yes, having a new baby is perhaps the most wonderful but most terrifying thing that will ever happen to you. 

How is his weight gain now?   If he is back to birth weight or more then personally speaking I would not wake before 3h in the day, and actually wouldn't have bothered waking mine at all at night.  I would have just fed as and when they woke.  That's up to you, you could wake LO at night if you are concerned though.  I'm not sure I quite understand your question about waking up and crying?  In my experience (though all babies are different) a hunger waking doesn't start as crying, often LO will stir, shuffle about, make noises, suck fingers/thumb for a while before actually getting to the crying stage so you have ample opportunity to respond to that before LO gets frantic :)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 20:05:44 pm »
How are things going?