Author Topic: Beginning to Supplement 7.5 month old with formula....refusing!  (Read 1025 times)

Offline erinstrong

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Beginning to Supplement 7.5 month old with formula....refusing!
« on: September 18, 2014, 13:13:32 pm »
We are trying to supplement my 7.5 month old with formula.  He is fine with breast milk out of the bottle but pushes away formula or spits up what he does get it down.  He is disgusted with it.  We have gotten him to hold down a few ounces in the morning but he hates it.  We have tried Enfamil and Simulac. 

Any suggestions on getting an exclusively breastfed baby to like formula?  My supply isn't keeping up with him and we are running out of reserves!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Beginning to Supplement 7.5 month old with formula....refusing!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 13:31:50 pm »
Hi, and welcome to BW.

There is loads of info here on making the switch.  Breastfed babies and bottles
Mixing formula with the breast milk in every increasing quantities to gradually get him accustomed to the taste is probably what I would try in your situation :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline erinstrong

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 14:27:15 pm »
Thanks for your help!  We tried mixing 4 oz EBM and 2 oz formula, but he wouldn't take that either!  I hate wasting what little stored EBM we have left!

I'm new on here, but it seems like most of the posts are for introducing a bottle and he takes the bottle fine....as long as it has EBM in it!  I haven't seen many posts on introducing formula at a later age.  Now I'm regretting not introducing it earlier...

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 19:19:38 pm »
In the links I posted there are loads of tips on switching to formula.  Most people start off with 1/4 formula and 3/4 ebm. Maybe the ratio you tried made the taste too different.
You can also try the formula before every feed if you don't have ebm to use but it might take weeks for LO to accept it as it really does taste quite unpleasant in comparison to ebm.
Have you tried formula in a cup instead of a bottle?

What makes you think your supply isn't keeping up?  Check out this FAQ on supply issues and how to get supply back up again.
I'm worried I may have low milk supply
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 19:21:37 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011