Author Topic: How to keep 6 month old awake longer (and happy)  (Read 1854 times)

Offline calgal22002

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to keep 6 month old awake longer (and happy)
« on: September 18, 2014, 17:57:25 pm »
DD is almost 6 months old and is a happy, easy baby.  We sleep trained over a month ago and she now can fall asleep independently and goes down for naps/bedtime with very little effort (yay!!).  This past week, she has been very difficult to settle (either on her own, or with a bit of help).  She also has been playing (happily) in her crib in the middle of the night.  I asked the question in the sleep forum on how to improve her night wakings and they suggested I need to lengthen her A time.  Seemed like a good idea... but how do you lengthen the A time, when DD is obviously showing signs of being tired (yawning, sucking her thumb, getting fussy, etc.)?  Yesterday we went grocery shopping, which was enough of a distraction (maybe?) that she stayed awake the whole morning.  She actually only had a 45 minute morning nap and a 2 hour afternoon nap, and then slept through the night.  Today I tried to replicate that routine, but we had nowhere to go, so we just stayed home. After an hour of being up, she started yawning. Then no matter how long I tried to keep her up, she got fussier and fussier until I put her down for a nap and she fell asleep right away (so she was obviously tired).  She had a short 45 minute nap, but was coming up an a meal, so I took her out and fed her. Again, an hour after she was up she started getting fussy. I tried to keep her up for a bit longer and after 15 minutes she went down for a nap, again settled right away. 

So all this to ask - how do I lengthen her A time when it is obvious she is tired? Granted, she might be catching up on a rough week of not sleeping well (I know I am exhausted).  I don't want her to be OT - I don't want a miserable baby all day long, when I know the solution is a good nap. I also don't want her to be UT and be up for hours at night (though at least she is happy at those hours!?).

Help!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: How to keep 6 month old awake longer (and happy)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:00:16 am »
Can you go outside for a bit as you're getting towards the end of A time?
I also found that when mine started getting fussy when I was pushing A time, I'd need to walk them from room to room in the house -- keep changing scenery but in a fairly low key fashion.   :)