Author Topic: I can't seem to get this right and am confused!  (Read 8401 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: I can't seem to get this right and am confused!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 06:34:18 am »
They all survive somehow despite our best efforts ;). Hope you have a good trip x

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 03:08:07 am »
They all survive somehow despite our best efforts ;).
LOL... good thing!! ;) :P

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 03:45:23 am »
Right there with you Katie! This 3rd time around involves so mch more juggling than I anticipated! Sounds like you're going away..hope it all goes well! I'm following along with interest as my little one is doing similar things. I can't seem to work that 3 nap routine I posted about on the multiple kids board anymore!

Offline katie80

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 03:57:32 am »
I can't seem to work that 3 nap routine I posted about on the multiple kids board anymore!
I did that routine with my 2nd and it worked great right until about this age. I couldn't get that 3rd nap to work anymore either, so ended up moving to the more traditional 2 nap routine. It made it more difficult in terms of getting out, but only lasted a couple months before I was cutting one of the naps to keep the day in check. If I remember right though, you don't really have the option of doing a traditional am/pm nap routine. :-\

Trip was a mini-nightmare in terms of sleep, and this poor little guy has lost all self-settling skills. I feel so bad, as things never seemed to go so far off with the other two. :-[ :( I think it's a combination of his personality, being the third, and my tiredness. My plan is to put him in the swing to nap for a few days and hopefully catch up, work on cutting out NFs this week, and go back to putting him in his crib for daytime sleeps this weekend. I think I'm going for 3.5hr A, unless he just can't handle it (really low on sleep right now) and will hope we get some decent naps.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 07:55:07 am »
That sounds like a good plan, Katie.

Is there a way for you to get some rest as well? I remember that if I was well rested ST or tweaking EASY was always easier.

Have you though about Katherine's idea about set naps? Maybe that could help you go back on track?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline katie80

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 04:03:32 am »
Thanks, Noa :-*

Is there a way for you to get some rest as well? I remember that if I was well rested ST or tweaking EASY was always easier.
I don't know... DH is on board with doing whatever needed to help. I think I can nap a bit this weekend, and may have my mom come over Fri morning. But actually, I did a lot of settling last night before 10pm. I just decided enough was enough and sat on his floor and had him lie down himself and go to sleep. It took one hr the first time and 45min the next (yes, all before 10pm :P).  I had to go in and do it at 12:20am as well and then it only took 10min! So, I fed him at 10:30 and 4:50... if he does a night where I don't have to settle in between, that's 6 straight hrs of sleep, which I haven't had in a loooooong time (maybe a handful of times since he's been born!). I'm hopeful!!

Have you though about Katherine's idea about set naps? Maybe that could help you go back on track?
Yes... but, I'm quite nervous to try. Because he's on the touchy side, I'm hesitant to have to push him through to a set time if the first nap is a bust. Plus, no matter how hard I try, I can't get A times out of my head! ::)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 07:24:44 am »
Well done hun it sounds like the night went pretty well x

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 07:58:00 am »
WTG!

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 11:38:16 am »
Awesome night!, I can only dream of 6 hrs straight sleep! Sounds like he's got the hang of it :):) I hope it continues through.. Xx and I too see A times in my sleep (the few random hours I have :) )

Offline katie80

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 04:38:49 am »
Last night was pretty good too...

BT 7pm (asleep 7:20ish, due to PD)
NW 8:30, quick resettle
DF 10:30pm
NF 3:50am

And here is today...
WU 6:50am
E 7:30am
A (3.5hr)
S 10:20-12pm (1hr40min)
E 12pm
A (3.5hr)
E 3pm
S 3:30-4:00pm (30min)
E 6:30pm
BT 7pm (asleep 7:30pm, due to PD)
NW 8:15pm, quick resettle
NW 9:40-10:20pm, struggled :(
NF 11:20pm (this is where we are now)

So... decent. First nap was great and I actually woke him. He seemed tired early into the second A time (around 2/2.5hr :-\). I fed him before second nap as he doesn't eat much for solids and we had to leave for Claire's dance class at 4:15. Was hoping he'd sleep the full 45min and actually my mom was willing to stay here so he could sleep longer, but he only lasted 30min.  I should have fed him at 6pm and done BT at 6:30... we got home from dance right at 6 and DH had warmed up dinner, so we sat down to eat first. But, he was pretty OT at BT and seemed like it when trying to resettle at 9:40 as well. He almost fell asleep a couple times, but had such a hard time finishing it off.  :(

So... what do you think of the second nap? OT/UT? Should I hold at 3.5hr for a few more days before trying something else? Maybe I should have let him sleep 2hr in the morning and then it wouldn't have mattered if I only got 30min in the afternoon. :-\ He's in the swing for naps... haven't worked up the courage to do PD again. I also need DH to put up the room-darkening blinds.

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 12:03:29 pm »
It does sound pretty good, there is progress, Katie!

It sounds to me like OT, but difficult to be sure... IIWY I would stick to the same A time for 3 more days and only then conclude anything. Alon was also touchy and he did need the time to get used to new A times and to catch up on OT. You can always do BT 30min earlier.

And I think the naps in the swing is totally fine. One battle at a time :D.

Offline katie80

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 03:24:55 am »
Thanks, Noa.

Did the same routine Friday and it went pretty well... not much to report on the second nap as it had to be in the car, so still only 30/35min. Tried for the same again today and he only slept 50min for the first nap. Thursday was 1h40min (I woke him), Friday was just shy of 2hr (he woke himself), and then 50min today. The inconsistency is frustrating, because he's hard to judge after a short nap in the morning... only got 30min in the afternoon. :(

I'm sure it could just be a random nap, I don't think it was UT (it seemed like I pushed him a bit to get to 3.5hr), and you wouldn't think OT if he handled it fine the last two days. So, I'm wondering if he's hungry. :-\ He takes hardly any solids (maybe a few bites... on occasion will eat a whole 'serving'), whether purees or finger foods. Sometimes I do a top-up feed and sometimes I forget. :-[ He only lasts 3-3.5hr between BFs with no solids, so I guess I should just do another feed or a one-sided feed at 3hr. The trouble is, sometimes I don't feed right away in the morning when he wakes... and then there's a school run, etc. I guess I don't know what I'm looking for here, just rambling, sorry! Any thoughts?

And I think the naps in the swing is totally fine. One battle at a time :D.
Thanks for this... I often beat myself up over it, because I know how great an IS is, but you're right... I can only handle so much at once. I'm hoping BT will get easier, it's a bit of an OT fight each night so far, but I think it's getting better. Then, hopefully we can transition the naps.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 10:01:32 am »
Katie was his night any different before the 50 minute nap as opposed to the longer ones?  More settled in the second half by any chance?  50 mins sounds UT to me, DS will quite frequently do those after a good night/shorter A time.  Does he have any tired signs?

Offline katie80

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 04:04:18 am »
Katie was his night any different before the 50 minute nap as opposed to the longer ones?  More settled in the second half by any chance? 
I can't really remember. :-\ ::) I don't think it was probably much different, but can't say for sure. I'll have to keep better track!

Does he have any tired signs?
They don't seem super reliable. He rubs his eyes and gets fussy and irritable. But, I often think that as he's not a great sleeper much of the time, they're hard to see because he's quite active and just pushes through. It's been like this since he was little... we were out at the lake one day this summer and my uncle asked if he ever got tired. He does, obviously, but after that fussy stage he gets a second wind and just keeps on going (that is, until you try to stop him by winding down or restricting him in the car seat or carrier... then he totally loses it :().

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 09:21:56 am »
That sounds like my DS! He totally loses it most of the time these days :( maybe it's a third kid thing...I've put my issues down to AP and partly not being able to wind him down in time because I've got the others to deal with and someone always needs something. Just wish I could fix his naps! Hope your nights are getting better?.. Xx