Author Topic: Newborn wants to suckle non stop  (Read 959 times)

Offline fossdreams

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 28, 2014, 04:50:48 am »
My newborn has wanted to suckle literally since the second he was born, It makes it hard to do EASY because he gets so worked up when put down for a nap, fights the swaddling, and cant hold a paci in for very long on his own. I usually end up with a long awake session because he wont fall asleep, then re-nurse to finally calm him and he does eat a lot more, then he takes a good but very long nap as he's exhausted. Problem is, i am nursing him to sleep. I feel even more "attached at the hip" than I did with my first child, because he doesn't like to just " chill" and watch the world go by. Needs to be suckling!

I am using the avent free flow pacis as he didnt like the soothies. But many times he wont take the paci anyway once he gets worked up. He was 8 lbs 5 oz, born last monday, and already back to birth weight so hes not lacking in groceries.

Suggestions please?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Newborn wants to suckle non stop
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:37:11 am »
Hi and welcome, congratulations on your LO :)

It may not be exactly what you want to hear, but for now I would just try to go with the flow with regards feeding.  Suckling so much in the early days is very normal as LO is trying to build your supply and setting up good foundations for you to be able to increase supply later on when growth spurts hit.  Feeding to sleep is also somewhat inevitable with a newborn, it's such a lovely cozy way to snooze cuddled up to Mummy!  You will find LO changes so much in a few short weeks that I would try not to worry about it too much.  Keep a loose EAS structure in mind but if it doesn't work sometimes, don't worry.  Take a look at these links:

Starting EASY with a newborn-What to Expect
Getting started - how I survived the first 3 months
Breastfeeding and EASY in the first few weeks

:)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Newborn wants to suckle non stop
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:56:55 am »
I agree with pp it sounds very normal. At a week old most LOs will just wake and feed back to sleep.

Do you have a wrap or sling you could wear him in so you have hands free for your older one? Do you have help from your partner or parents for example?

Have you tried swaddling him before the start of a feed so that he can fall asleep on the breast and you can lay him down without disturbing him?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011