Author Topic: In a pickle or par for the course?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline HenaV

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
Re: In a pickle or par for the course?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 13:39:32 pm »
We haven't been trying for naps. If we're out and about and she happens to fall asleep then we roll with it. The problem we were having was the fall out waking her after a short nap and then still getting ew. Re: car naps - she will (didn't used to) but with DH out of work we have one car that I need so it's not a goer. Last week she fell asleep in thee pushchair in a walk DH took her hoping she's sleep / this week it didn't work.

We enforce QT - either stories on the sofa, puzzles or maybe some TV time.

H x

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 07:07:44 am »
11.53pm,3.30am,6am,6.35am   :o

Might be trying for that 5pm BT tonight!!!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 07:30:05 am »
Can't hurt, give it a shot xx

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 09:45:39 am »
She's is being just awful, so horribly tired that I don't think anyone will make it to 5pm, at least not sane. DH has just taken her out in the car, I know I probably shouldn't be trying for a nap when she's done without for a whole week, but today will just be a day of tears if I don't.

I was thinking if she does nap today, to still out her to bed for 6pm or do you think that'll get me into an OT:UT loop? Maybe 6.30?

H c

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 10:16:32 am »
we always do 6.30pm NND and 7pm nap day - I find except for the rare very early BT it does not help to change things up at BT too much yk?
I would have done the same as you FWIW, some lo's find these transitions much harder than others and you know when they are just done and need a nap.
We are very much in the same situation and it is very hard seeing a way through it. I know lots of people just stick with no naps but for our two who seem quite sensitive to OT I am not sure it is the best way...but have not quite found out what is the best way to get through it!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 10:24:59 am »
Let me know if you work it out hon!! As you know, R is sensitive to OT and has in fact followed M's lead give or take a month or so.

We have been doing 6pm BT on NNDs because she is so wiped out. We ended up with 6.20 yesterday with one thing and another and just ended up with a bigger mess.

BT with a nap is usually 7pm. I guess I was thinking 6.30 on the basis that she is so ridiculously tired that it may help her catch up - could just be vain hope!

H x

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 15:13:29 pm »
Good luck both xx

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 15:17:27 pm »
She didn't nap. DH took her out again this afternoon so I could get some work done and has nit as yet brought her back so there goes that 5pm BT - beyond frustrated!

H

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 06:33:44 am »
I hope the night went better than expected.  When we were in this phase J actually did a 13h NND (unavoidable because of a family event) and it actually kind of 'reset' things for us because she was so tired.  Hugs for the NWs though, I know they are exhausting but remember this phase won't last xx

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 06:35:55 am »
Disaster! She called me in at 4.40am so Goodness know what time she woke up, stayed in her be. But has not been back to sleep since. She's a wreck. So overly emotional. I am going to get DH to outburst to bed for a nap today

H

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 07:05:37 am »
Ugh horrible :(. Can you try an early nap? 11ish?  Then if that's a bust you get another chance (so to speak) in the afternoon?

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 07:33:56 am »
She's at pre-school today. I contemplated not sending her but DH thought it was better to keep her in her routine / distracted. I do feel sorry for them and her today. If I didn't have to go to work I'd have kept hey home tbh.

If she's put in her bed she will go to sleep. Nap resistence so far hasn't been the issue. We decided to try CT because waking her up at 30 mins R just didn't know what to
Do with herself. It maybe that she's just not ready to drop the nap yet? I week of no naps and she's just not coping. Does anyone know is there anythinf developmentally at this age Which could be contributing?

H x

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 07:48:22 am »
Maybe she isn't totally ready, it's hard to know but I do think the OT is inevitable whenever it happens.  Could you instead do something like alternate NNDs and uncapped nap days with a late BT? Or do the capped nap every day but do it early so she isn't such a bear to wake?  Or not put her in bed but let her CN in the car/stroller etc? I found it was generally much worse to wake DD from a nap in bed than elsewhere. I did mention before but 30 mins was s horrendous time to wake her up wherever though, did you ever try 15-20 mins is waking her before she gets into deep sleep?

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 08:22:25 am »
Thanks got your reply hon.

All of what you have said makes complete sense. The pushchair only works on occasion - she's never been one for napping on the go. If I'm home I do tend to drive her about as I 100% agree WU Is easier. If I let her act uncapped naps, she will sleep for 2-2.5 h easily so not really a goer.

We are going to try 20mins but for today perhaps let her have 45mins wth a 6.30pm. Tbh I feel pretty clueless.

H c

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 08:28:27 am »
Totally get how you feel :-*. To be honest at this point with J I did just decide to push through the OT......she does cope with it relatively well though so that might be harder for you with sensitive little R.  We just set BT, woke her after 15-20 mins if she happened to nap, and accepted the NWs for a time.  Annoying, but since I was pg anyway I was up in the night regardless!!  The day times are tough though with a tired LO.  My instinct was always to stay in, keep things quiet, try not to overstimulate etc but actually I think that possibly made it harder (for me) as she just let rip with her emotions and tantrums whereas if we went out or she was at nursery, she was distracted from how tired she felt and overall coped better.  BT could be a bit of a meltdown zone but in a way an hour or so of meltdown in the evening was better (I felt) than ten hours of meltdown all day.  Worth a thought?  You know R best though xx