Author Topic: Starting EASY- having a feed issue  (Read 694 times)

Offline oreomonster

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 03, 2014, 18:36:47 pm »
We're starting EASY after some accidental parenting during LO's 3 month growth spurt.  He is now 14 weeks.  We immediately implemented lots of the suggestions- early bedtime, regular naps- which helped him get back to sleeping through the night in 1 day.  We're now on day 5 and I've read the book now and know I need to switch from on demand feeding to a routine feed.  The first block in the morning goes great, but then it rides off the rails.  Today, for example, the first block went perfectly. Second E started: I gave LO a complete 45 minute feeding, but then as I'm doing A time he's looking hungry again. I start trying to put him down/ wind down he's acting starving.  So I feed him for 25 additional minutes and put him down.  He sleeps 1 hour.  Of course, now it's happening again in the third cycle. I EAEA(to make sure he's not sleeping)S  We're breaking him of the bad habit of nursing to sleep at night which is going really well.  Perhaps he needs time to adjust to daytime not nursing to sleep?  It works great for his first nap. : /

In addition, shush-pat is incredibly distracting for him.  He's spirited, and every touch makes him more alert.  We're doing PU/PD even though he's a little bit young but with good success.  I try not to in the daytime though as that will also rev him up.  He's pretty good about mantra crying/chattering to himself for about 15 minutes and I put him down pretty much totally awake. 

Advice?

Offline oreomonster

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 18:59:29 pm »
TL;DR
My schedule is looking like EAEASY.  And times when I have to nurse between he takes extremely short naps even though I've woken him so he's not nursing TO sleep. 

I'm so confused!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Starting EASY- having a feed issue
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 19:03:42 pm »
Do you think he's acting hungry because he's used to feeding to sleep, rather than *really* being hungry?  Can you post your EASY with times for us?  You may be getting short naps because LO is UT or OT rather than it being anything to do with feeding.  Also are you breastfeeding?  The feed lengths sound pretty long to me for this age....all LOs are different but mine haven't fed for more than 10-15 mins total at that age.  I'd be a little suspicious some of that is comfort sucking.  What is your feeling?  Is LO actively sucking and swallowing the whole time? 

To avoid the worry about him being hungry when he is tired, you could always offer a top-up feed 30 mins or so after your main feed and then you could be sure if you're seeing rooting around sleep time that it's a sleep association/prop thing you're dealing with rather than hunger?