Author Topic: LSN or something else?  (Read 11504 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: LSN or something else?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 18:16:41 pm »
If you are trying to shift the day I would almost want to do a short catnap and push bedtime out. Only other option would be an ebt.
Heidi

Offline morvayc

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 18:19:12 pm »
Both seem to lead to early wakings, so I don't know  :'( If I do ebt, what time would you suggest? If I do catnap, when and how long, and then how long until bt?  Sorry for all the questions.

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 14:37:42 pm »
Tbh we have never done an ebt, they kind of scare me! How did it end up playing out?
Heidi

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 18:13:01 pm »
So....wound up doing a catnap from 330-4pm, asleep for the night by 7pm.  The night was a total disaster!  She was up every half hour after 830.  I never had to intervene, but she was completely unsettled.  I finally gave up hope at 545am and got up with her.  I really can't explain whether it was the catnap or something completely unrelated.  Maybe you can help me understand this.  Hypothetically speaking, whether she slept a total of 2.5 hours during the day, split between 2 or 3 naps, all sleep ending by 4pm, should it really matter?  Maybe I missed that part of the book????

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 20:16:30 pm »
If she was unsettled all night it sounds like something other than ut - teeth or an oncoming illness maybe. As for the hours total, for some kids I am sure that it may not make a difference but for others they need that long awake time to be able to have a good night sleep. Sort of like if an adult started napping where they really didnt need to and started waking at night, having trouble going to sleep etc because they need that awake time to be really long for them to be able to sleep at night in one continuous chunk.
Heidi

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 11:47:07 am »
What time did she wake up? How long in total did she slept? You can either do a short catnap or do an EBT but ... I am not the fan:).
~Marta

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 12:59:35 pm »
She wound up waking at 5am, but I left her until 545.  As for total sleep, I would normally be able to tell you, but as she was up every half hour all night, I really couldn't say.  I don't think the catnap works for us.  I don't know if it's just coincidence, but every time we've tried it because we've had an early wake up from second nap, it's been disastrous.  I think Heidi may be right, in that she may be an LO who needs a long A time before bed.  Who really knows? I'm finishing up wonder week 37, so perhaps the restless night sleeps and NWs will be done for a little bit.  Here's to hoping!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 13:08:03 pm »
I get the idea with a long A till BT but it usually works when LO sleeps 1,5-2h at second/mid-afternoon A and I don't know how it works for you but for us it's almost not achieveable... Maybe as a catchup nap after week in the nursery or when he is exhausted...
~Marta

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 13:23:10 pm »
I know what you mean!  Yesterday (after the awful night's sleep), she gave me 2x1hr20min naps, which rarely rarely happens, so we did 3hrs50min A before bed.  In the back of my mind, I knew I would somehow be punished for having 2 good naps, and sure enough, we had a 1 hr NW last night.  So in total, she got about 10hrs10min night sleep, which unfortunately, is pretty typical these days.  EBTs almost certainly lead to early wakeups, and I'm desperate to stop them.  It's not like I'm hoping for something unrealistic.  6am would be a dream.  So even if she pulls a 30 minute afternoon nap, I'm going to see if she can go the 4hrs to bed.  I'm always terrified of OT, but I've tried everything else.

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2014, 15:58:28 pm »
Fingers crossed it goes ok. UT has always given us far more problems than OT, so if your LO is the same you might find she handles it ok. Let us know how she gets on :)

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 16:24:37 pm »
Fingers crossed it goes ok. UT has always given us far more problems than OT, so if your LO is the same you might find she handles it ok. Let us know how she gets on :)

Same here!
Heidi

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 18:00:05 pm »
Well, after a 40 minute morning nap, I attempted to put LO down after about 3hours A......then again at 3hrs20min.....and 4hrs later, my DH is driving her around the city.  He couldn't stand all the crying.  I thought to myself, "welcome to my world", but was appreciative to have some of that Y time that I never seem to get.  So it's very rare to have a refusal of such monumental proportions.  She normally eventually gives in.  Regardless of how long DH gets her to nap, is my night shot anyway?  How did your LOs react after meltdowns? PS....it's REEEEEAAAAALLLYYY frustrating that she falls asleep in the car, 3 seconds after the ride starts (DH just texted me).

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 11:48:24 am »
Jack does that as well  ::) And we've also had 40 minute naps followed by all out nap refusal as well. What sort of A time gave you a 40 minute nap?

Have you tried doing 3hr 15, then a capped nap, then 3hr 30 and 4hrs A again, seeing as that worked well last time? 

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:48 pm »
I got the 40min nap after 3hr10min A time.  I haven't had one in quite some time.  Normally our short naps are 30min, and our long anything over an hour.  This morning, she woke at 4am, after 9.5hrs sleep, and did not sleep again until 530am.  Slept solidly for 30 minutes until 6am....and then on and off until 7am.  After such crazy mornings, I never know when to put her down for first nap.....or for the night either.  I almost feel as though the sleep from 530-6am is more of a nap, given that it was after being awake for an hour and a half.  Like you suggested, I'd like the short morning, long afternoon nap, I just get so scared to cap the morning because the afternoon nap is so unreliable, but.....I really need to be able to put her down at 7pm or later to combat these EWs, and to do this, I need a nice long nap in the afternoon.  So confused :-\

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »
We had exactly the same at 8.5 months. It's really confusing, isn't it?

If the afternoon nap is unreliable it's probably because her morning A is too short and/or her morning nap is too long.  The only two options you have with that are to cap the morning nap so she's tired still in the afternoon, or push the morning nap back as far as you can without it shortening, then either AP an afternoon nap or try for a 30 minute nap at home after a slightly longer A time.  If you find that afternoon nap continues to be difficult though, you probably do need to cap the morning one in order to get an afternoon one without fuss. I know it's hard to do,  but pick a few days you can write off if it goes wrong, and stick to the same A times for a few days and see what happens.

What do you think, Heidi? Would you do something different?