Author Topic: Making the switch to a 4 hour EASY  (Read 902 times)

Offline athenasmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
Making the switch to a 4 hour EASY
« on: October 09, 2014, 15:41:35 pm »
DD is 15 weeks old and I think we started the limbo to switch to a 4 hour EASY. She is EBF but can easily make the 4 hours. In fact last weekend I fed her on a 4 hour routine. She however, does not seem to be ready to make the switch with her naps. She can do 2 hours A time before the first nap but she will not sleep longer than 1 hour no matter her A time so then she will not be able to do a 2 hour A time before the 2nd nap. At this point she can usually handle only about 1.5 hours A time. Her 2nd nap is usually a long one, about 1 hour 45 min or sometimes even 2 hours. So for her 3rd A time she can do 2 hours again. Her 3rd nap is usually short again about 45 min to 1 hour. Currently she still needs a catnap in the late afternoon for about 30-40 min to hold her until bedtime. So I assume as we progress and she stretches her A times further we will drop the catnap and her 3rd nap will become the catnap. I live by the policy that "if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it" so I do not want to impose something on her if this routine is working fine, but it seems that she wakes up more often in the early AM now and needs resettling. But that could be due to her stuffy nose. I guess what I am trying to figure out is if this routine looks fine for her age. I am sorry if I am rambling but talking it out is usually helpful for me. So where would you go from here? What is the best game plan? Thanks!
*Suzanna*

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Making the switch to a 4 hour EASY
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 17:54:35 pm »
Hi hun, sorry you've had no replies yet.

What you describe sounds pretty normal for this age and the transition.  If it's working for now then go with it until you see signs something needs to change.  I'm honestly not sure about those 45-1h naps, I know most here would say they are UT length but my feeling with my own DS is that they can be OT.  2h is quite a high A time for 15 weeks (though not unheard of) - will DD settle any sooner for her first nap? 

The early morning unsettledness could be the blocked nose or could be a bit of OT creeping in.  Or possibly just that her sleep cycles are becoming more adult-like and that she is coming into light sleep and finding it a bit tough to settle herself.....the dreaded 4 month regression!

Have you read this?  Time to Transition - 3hr, 3.5hr or 4hr EASY