Author Topic: EASY for prem babies?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Fraserbell

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 10, 2014, 11:31:00 am »
Hello all.

Am looking for some help. Great fan of BW and followed from day 1 with my first (now 20 months)
My second little boy was born 6 weeks early and now I'm keen to make sure he is on the right routine for us. He is 13 weeks now, so 7 weeks corrected. Do I follow easy by his corrected age or age from birth? We are currently doing 3 hour easy and he wakes around 3am and has a feed. His last feed is around 10:30/11pm and it's a dream feed. He has been known to go through to 430am before. He is BF and now weighs 13lb 1oz.
Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been posted before.
Thank you :) xxxxxxx

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 20:10:43 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW :)

I *think* you go with corrected age not birth age.  On that basis, sounds like you're doing fabulously well :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: EASY for prem babies?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 08:46:28 am »
In general I'd agree although I know that some Mums here have found that they have to aim somewhere in between the two.  As long as you are following LOs cues and looking out for signs A time needs to increase a little you'll do great :). Worth bearing in mind that not all babies of the same age will be on exactly the same sort of routine anyway x

Offline Kiwi_one

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 19:41:45 pm »
I realise this post is getting a little old but just saw it. DD3 was 6.5 weeks early and IUGR so tiny. I always think of her in terms of adjusted age but she's always slept far more than normal for her adjusted age too (still taking two naps at 20 months). So if your boy seems to want lots of sleep, don't be afraid to follow him. Just watch out for signs he needs an increase, as Katherine said (that's my main downfall when it comes to EASY!).
Homeschooling mum to Philomena (6) - spirited/sanguine     Bernadette (4) - textbook/melancholic-plegmatic     Zelie (3) - textbook/phlegmatic     Rita (2) - textbook/choleric

...and then there were five!

Offline Fraserbell

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 20:14:29 pm »
Thank you for your replies.
We seem to be doing ok in the day time. It's getting harder of a night! Only takes the dream feed sometimes and always wakes up around 2/3am now. I feed him but pretty sure it's habit waking too.
What sort of signs should I be looking for in regards to increasing the a time? Xxx

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 20:34:36 pm »
Do I follow easy by his corrected age or age from birth?

A friend of mine who had 2 Prem babies told me that she was told to "correct the age" every month  so (with an extra month for every 4 weeks)  a  6 week Prem would be corrected to 3 weeks 'behind' at 3months old & by 7-8 months old you could say they were roughly on track at catching up. So at 13weeks (3months) you'd probably be looking at her around a 10 week old mark .

I always think of her in terms of adjusted age but she's always slept far more than normal for her adjusted age too (still taking two naps at 20 months).
My DS1 was still on 2 naps at 20months & he was term, I think some of it is temperament rather than anything else.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 20:43:36 pm »
Tracy mentions that a prem baby might not move to a 4 hr EASY at 4 months but that most babies will reach it by 6 months, just something to bare in mind as time goes by.