Author Topic: 4 month new night wakings - maybe paci problems? help!!!  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Kanson01

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month new night wakings - maybe paci problems? help!!!
« on: October 09, 2014, 16:27:05 pm »
So my 4 month old has been on EASY since 1 week old. We have worked on independent sleep since the beginning, but he still almost always needs either paci or shh pat to settle before naps and bed. About a month ago, he began sleeping long stretches, from 7/8 pm - 4:45, 5, 6 or sometimes even 7 am! He did that for about 2 weeks and then started waking earlier between 2 and 3:30. However, he woke very hungry (smacking lips, etc.) and would take a whole bottle, so I assumed it was a growth spurt and of course fed him. I tried to add ounces during the day to his bottles, but he wouldn't take them. However, in the last couple weeks he has been waking more often (sometimes around 10 pm or 12:30 am) and when we do feed he takes forever to fall back asleep. He lays in his bed and talks (I leave the room for this), which is fine if he would put himself down. He usually talks and then slowly starts getting upset, so I've been going back in to put paci in. Eventually he falls back asleep, but it takes forever (around 2 hours) and I usually have to do this a few times. Last night he didn't even need to eat. He just woke up talking, cooing, and eventually got upset because he couldn't resettle. He also is having more trouble falling asleep at night. He will suck on paci, spit it out to "talk" then eventually get upset. When he does fall asleep, he usually spits the paci out on his way into deep sleep and this doesn't wake him.

His EASY (on a good day - we struggle with short naps, so this EASY is when he gets good naps in)

7:00 am wake eat a bottle
9:00 am nap
11:00 am wake eat a bottle
1:00 pm nap
3:00 pm wake eat a bottle
4:30 or 5 cat nap (between 20 and 40 mins)
6:00 bath
6:30 or 7 bottle
7 or 7:30 bed (lately he has had trouble going down so sometimes not asleep until 8 or 8:30)

*** His A times are often shorter, sometimes due to a short nap, but often he begins showing tired signs at 1 hr 30 min or around there. He is also very very tired by the time I give him his night bottle - I usually have to coax him to drink it.

Also, we swaddle him for every nap and sleep time. I usually swaddle, hold sideways, put paci in if fussy (usually he is at least a little) and then put him in his crib once he starts nodding off). Just to give you idea of wind down.

Because he usually spits paci out without crying, I have assumed it isn't a prop. But could it be that even if he doesn't need the paci to KEEP sleeping, he needs it to fall asleep and therefore when he wakes at night without it he eventually cries because he can't fall back asleep? This doesn't make sense to me because he WAS sleeping longer without these long night wakings. Any advice would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 17:26:45 pm by Kanson01 »

Offline morvayc

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 4 month new night wakings - maybe paci problems? help!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 18:59:22 pm »
Just thought I'd let you know that we experienced the same sort of issues around the 4 month mark as well, and it was sooo frustrating because I thought that we were finally making progress toward STTN.  I basically chalked it up to the four month sleep regression.  If you're not familiar, look it up on the net and you will find loads of information.  It truly was a phase, and eventually passed at around 5 months.  If nothing has changed in your routine, then this is most likely the cause.  We also decided at the 4 month mark to ditch the paci and do sleep training at the same time.  I'm no expert, by any means, but I found that it would be impossible to sleep train while still using the paci....and believe me, my LO needed the paci to fall asleep!  We just took it away cold turkey and it only took about a week to be done with it permanently, and I do believe that LO learned to fall asleep and back asleep because she didn't have the paci.  It was almost as if she went into panic mode when she woke and realized she didn't have it in her mouth.  She didn't even attempt to fall back asleep on her own ( which I also think contributed to the chronic 30 minute nap!).  Anyway, I don't know if any of this helped, but just know that you aren't alone:)

Offline Kanson01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 23:40:14 pm »
Can you explain how you ditched the paci and sleep trained?

Offline morvayc

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 11:41:59 am »
Like I said, we did both at the same time because I thought it would be pointless otherwise.  Unfortunately, I don't think you can really wean with a paci, it has to be cold turkey! As far as the sleep training is concerned, we would put her down for naps and bed with a lovey and leave the room immediately.  There will be crying, but we would go in to reassure her at timed intervals.  ie. after five minutes of crying, then ten, then fifteen and so on.  It honestly took less than a week, and we had a baby who would totally put herself to sleep with zero fuss...and quickly.  We did the same for night wakings, although I have to admit that it was harder for me to hear her cry in the middle of the night, so I probably went in quicker than I should have.  Hope this helps!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 11:52:43 am »
Morvayc - thank you for offering support to the OP.  However, the sleep training method you are describing is a form of controlled crying (CC) which we categorically do not support on this forum.  We believe that CC/CIO breaks the unique bond of trust between parent and child, and Tracy Hogg (author of the BW books) believed that there was always another gentler and more respectful way of teaching your child to sleep.  I am not judging the decision you made at all, I believe you will have made what you felt to be the best decision for your family at the time, but just wanted to make our position clear.

Kanson are you familiar with the BW books and techniques including PUPD?

Offline Kanson01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 17:42:17 pm »
Jessmum46 I am familiar with the books - I read Secrets of Baby Whisperer and The Baby Whisperer Solves all your problems. I am familiar with PU/PD but haven't really used it because he will always settle with either shh/pat, paci or both. Honestly I'm hesitant for PU/PD because I know it doesn't work with some babies this young and I don't want to put my LO through all that crying if it doesn't work. What do you suggest?

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 19:53:05 pm »
For what it's worth, I have never used PU/PD with my DS because it just got him too ramped up.  I have used Shhh-Rub since he was two months old and, at 14 months, it still does the trick if he can't settle in the middle of the night.  For me, I love that I can keep physical contact with him without holding him while he goes back to sleep.  Seldom is he actually sleeping when I finally leave but he is quiet and relaxed and his eyes are flickering.
Regarding the pacifier, if he doesn't seem to really need it, ditch it.  There's nothing wrong with doing Shh-Pat to help him settle, especially as he negotiates the various developmental phases. He's still pretty young so there will definitely be times when he'll need you to reinforce what he's already learned.