Author Topic: Where to start with this huge mess?!  (Read 7168 times)

Offline *foxy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: Where to start with this huge mess?!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 08:28:13 am »
Hi

Um. Same as usual really. He woke 4 times between 6.45 and 10, then 11, 1 (I lost count after that) and was awake at 5-6.15. Slept 6.15-7.30. It was nice him sleeping until 7.30.

Just put him down for a nap now (9.30) hoping for a long one maybe?

*Kate*

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 09:06:34 am »
Hmmm. 30 min nap. Won't resettle. 1 hr 30 min A time? I hate short naps! They make me feel so stuck - watching the clock all the time, rushing to get things done. The nights are hard enough as it is!

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 09:44:54 am »
Yes I'd try around 1h30 x

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 08:26:29 am »
I'm trying the gentle removal plan but he's desperate to suck to sleep. Im encouraging him to use his thumb - is that ok? Then I'm not the prop? He's more settled early evening. Only had one wake up between 7 and 11.45! Then he was up every 1.5-2 hours and awake from 5.15-6.45. I'm trying to be positive that there's some change!

Naps have been difficult. DD fell onto her mouth at school and her front teeth have been pushed back - bit of a mess really so had to get her to the dentist and back to school. It messed up DS's 'routine' he ended up with a 2.5 hour A time. It's hard fitting his naps around DD's schedule. Especially when he's short napping

*Kate*

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 07:34:44 am »
Any ideas why he might still be doing a long NW? It's usually around 4.30/5 for 1-1.5 hours. Last night it was 2.30-4am.

I think he's gradually settling down. He's doing 7-9pm which is nice. Then last night I think it was 9-1 then 1-2.30. Awake 2.30-4 then up at 6.15. That's good for us!

Naps still a bit random. He did a 1hr 20min nap in the morning yesterday. I resettled. But I never know if he's going to do short ones (usually) or pull a long one so consistency isn't happening really. I'm trying not to let him get OT but it can be difficult when we need to get out - he's too interested in what's going on around him. But he did nap in the sling for 45/50 mins after falling asleep in the car and I could transition him - he went back to sleep ok.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:36:19 am by *foxy* »

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 16:18:41 pm »
Glad the nights are starting to get better. What's his EASY (don't worry it will look messy with short naps)? Long NWs are often discomfort, UT or possibly developmental.  How many naps is he having typically?

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 18:09:58 pm »
Hi

His WU time changes every day so I can't say we have much of an EASY going on atm.

Today it was WU 6.15am
E 6.15
A 6.15 - 8
S 8-9.30 (resettled after 40 mins)
E 9.30
A 9.30-11.30 (fell asleep in the car)
S 11.30-11.40 (DD woke him up) tried to resettle in the sling for 40 mins but wouldn't fall completely asleep
E 1
A 11.40- 1.20
S 1.20- 2
E 2
A 2-4.30
S 4.30-5
E 5
A 5-6.30
S + E 6.30-6.45

He does feed/suck to sleep so he takes a small feed then too if we are at home. I struggle to feed him properly when we are out even sitting in the back of the car. He's too distracted.

During the week it's more

WU between 6.15 and 6.30 maybe
Nap 9/9.15 (30-40 mins)
Nap 11.30 (30-40 mins)
Nap 1.30 (30-40 mins)
Nap 4 ish (30 mins) doesn't always settle
BT 6.30 ish

At the weekend as I don't have the school run and he doesn't get so OT for that first nap he seems to resettle after 40 mins and I can get a 1hr 20-30 min nap.

He's been doing long NW's for ages - weeks and weeks. I thought it was discomfort. It could still be?? I can't see it being UT as his naps aren't great during the day.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 18:11:31 pm by *foxy* »

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 07:40:46 am »
It could definitely still be discomfort, he might be better overall but something still bothering him enough to disturb him in the lighter sleep hours?  Or do you notice any correlation between when the NWs happen (as in what time) and what naps were like?

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 17:58:44 pm »
Hmmmm. I don't think so. It's usually around 5am he'll wake up properly and won't settle again for ages. One night it was 2.30-4 and I can't think what was different. He was back to a WU at 4.45-6 his morning and then was up at 7.15. I don't know what it is. We have so many problems with his sleep that it gets a bit confusing. The weird thing is is that although it's still really awful, it's kind of becoming our normal. It'd be weird (and wonderful) if we had a good night.

I think I need to gently work on getting him to self settle or at least think about self settling maybe? I've looked at the gentle removal plan. I'd love it if someone else could get him to sleep.

*Kate*

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 21:15:09 pm »
Ugh. He's woken 5 times since BT at 6.30. His tummy sounds gurgly and he hasn't done a poo today which is unusual for him. I had hoped we were turning a corner but we seem to be back to where we started ???
I started him on probiotics a few days ago - he had very runny poos the last couple of days. I haven't given him any today. Can probiotics cause diarrohea?

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 08:49:53 am »
Sorry hun I don't know, no experience with probiotics here :(. Perhaps ask over on the reflux board?  Just remind me, where are you at with meds/diet etc?  Is he off all meds and you on a normal diet at the moment?  How's his latch right now?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:29 am »
Also, when he's awake for that hour/hour and a half, what is he doing?  Is he upset?

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 09:06:47 am »
Hi

Yes. Off all meds and Im back on a normal diet as there seemed to be no difference with either of them. His poos arent mucosy, just runny. And that's only been since Friday. Before that they were normal.

When he's awake during the night, he's just awake, like it's his daytime. He's quite vocal. DP took him off me for an hour at 4.30 this morning (keeping it subdued and dark and quiet) and DS went back to sleep quite quickly when he brought him back. Im just wondering if it's something tummy related - Im not sure what though!

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 09:12:21 am »
I hate to say it but even though naps aren't great, they sound like UT night wakings  :-\ as in, not consistently having enough A time in one good chunk to help him to sleep soundly.  We were getting similar until very recently, especially on nights after a four nap day.  DS was ill and teething also, but it has only been since I've pushed his A times quite a bit that the chatty vocal NWs have stopped....at least for now!  I know we were due the same day so if it helps, DS is now pushing 2h30 A time when rested :o seems like a high A kind of boy, you might not need to go that far but I wonder if pushing him a bit would help?

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 14:26:28 pm »
I think probiotics can cause diarrhea if too large a dose is used at the beginning, have you started with a very small dose and gradually increased?
Elise