Author Topic: Is this right?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Is this right?
« on: October 14, 2014, 18:58:39 pm »
Ive posted a lot on this board with DS bc his being 6 weeks early has been a little confusing for me. Anyways, he is 17 weeks (11 adjusted) and still wakes every 2 hrs at night and is still eating every 2 hrs during the day. He will sometimes go to 3 hrs during the day but ive found that when he goes to 3hr EASY during the day he is up even more at night (not enough calories during the day?) He takes a paci just fine to resettle, unless hes hungry, then he will root and chew on his hands and squirm. Its not too terrible as ive gotten used to the lack of sleep but right now I think theres a growth spurt or an adjustment to his new crib going on bc he will wake every hour sometimes but I can resettle that with his paci. Any suggestions or should I just stay the course?

[/url]

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Is this right?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 20:11:17 pm »
So are you feeding every 2 hr through the night? Or is he resettling some of those waking and maybe feeding 4hrly?

I wonder if his body is so used to waking every 2 that he's just doing it and maybe wake to sleep would help?

Has he been checked for the likes of tongue tie, reflux, etc. which can have babies eating more frequently? Have you done a weighed feeding so you know how much he's taking in one feed? I guess that's grasping at straws but could be worth knowing.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 23:36:14 pm »
He has been put on Zantac for reflux but honestly I'm not sure he really had it...they never did a study they just went on what I said. He will usually sleep best at the first stretch between his first feed around 7 and his dream feed at 930 or 10...After that he's usually up every 2 hrs. I'll try and resettle with a paci and a snuggle but that's when he will usually start rooting and he will take a full feed. I've never done a weighed feeding but it may be worth a try. They also did mention a small tongue tie when he was in the NICU but his doctor hasn't mentioned it since so I figured it was ok...she always checks his mouth etc and we were just there last week.

[/url]

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 23:59:52 pm »
Hmm even a small tongue tie can affect feeding. I wonder if you can get a second opinion about that as they are not always that easy to spot :-\

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 00:48:19 am »
I'll definitely mention it and see if she still sees it. His weight for how early he was is great,  he's more than doubled , he was 5.12 and now at 4 months he's 13.2 which isn't surprising since he eats so often lol!! If not a tongue tie issue is he just a hungry baby? I Ho Esty couldn't tell you a rough guess of what he gets...He's not needing/ wanting to switch breasts yet...He usually just needs one. At bedtime though he will sometimes go for seconds though. His daytime feeds last on average 8 -10 minutes.  At night it can vary depending on how tired he is but since My supply is lower at night he can go for 20 minutes or more bug some of it is also sucking for comfort mixed in.

[/url]

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:01:33 am »
L's major tired sign was rooting... Given the frequency in the day, as well as night, could be he's wanting to go to sleep?

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 15:38:59 pm »
Possible....but he won't resettle with a paci and at night when I notice that he is no longer eating and is just sucking to soothe I'll put the paci in his mouth and hr takes it to sleep and then spits it out once he's sleeping hard.  Same goes for naps...He takes a paci for his nap (he feed when he gets up she he isn't feeding to sleep except for his last feed). He won't resettle at night with the paci though.  He just gets really fussy and runs his face with his hands when he's sleepy.

[/url]