Author Topic: Need help with a 5 month old stranger anxiety  (Read 1579 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
Need help with a 5 month old stranger anxiety
« on: October 19, 2014, 19:25:44 pm »
I have a job minding a 3 Yr old and a 5 month old. The past few weeks the 5 month old (M) has been quite distressed with me. The last time I watched him he screamed for the entire 2 hours except for the 45min nap he did. Sometimes he only does a half an hour nap so its a long time screaming and no matter what I do he won't calm down. I can't do anything with the 3 yr old (B) because im walking around jiggling M and patting and trying to calm him. He refuses to feed so if I think he's hungry (which he isn't but I try a bottle just in case) he just screams with the bottle in his mouth.

I don't want to give up this job as I really need te money and when M isn't like this I really enjoy my job but I don't know what else to do. I feel it's unfair on him to be like this for such a long time. As soon as his mother gets home and he's in her arms he's fine. He then looks at me and smiles sweetly. I don't take it personally but I'm wantingn some advice on how to help him and me through this.

At present I approach him slowly. I sit near him and say hello, after a few mins I gently come closer and touch his hand. I continue to do this while also talking to his mum and then he will just burst into tears. She then gives him a big kiss and hug and I take him and try and calm him and she leaves. Roll on two hours later (I'm exhausted and deaf at this point)
I've tried wearing one of her shirts so he can smell her. Pointed to photos of his mum and also try and get hi to engage with his sister. Nothing works. If he does calm down it's for a maximum of 2 mins and then he gets back into it again.

How long will this last? What else can I do?

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 494
Re: Need help with a 5 month old stranger anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 20:19:15 pm »
Hi there, please read:

Stranger Anxiety-5 months+