Author Topic: 16 mth old - disturbed sleep & EW  (Read 713 times)

Offline Dovely

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:27:07 pm »
Hi,
I can't seem to fathom my 16mth old. He often cries out in the night - usually around 4.30am but can be at other times. He'll only do it once in the night and will often settle himself without me going in. I always leave him a few minutes to give him a chance to settle himself and he often does. If he wakes in the night then he usually sleeps until 7.00'ish which is great. If he doesn't wake in the night he will usually cry out between 5.30-6.00am. Sometimes he can get back to sleep himself but often he can't. When he wakes early he's pretty miserable and cries in his cot. If he sleeps until after 7.00am he's pretty happy in his cot. The later he sleeps, the happier he is when he wakes.

He's always in bed at 7.30pm and he has one nap from 11.00'ish-2.00'ish. I always wake him at 2.00 if he's still asleep. This has been going on since the end of August. Before that he would sleep until 7.15am pretty consistently with no crying at 5.30am. I took him down to one nap as I thought that might be the issue but it's made little difference. He's been teething a bit and has had a cold but it's such a regular pattern that I'm confused. I don't want to keep dosing him with Calpol because it's quite likely a routine issue.

The other thing is that he's got an older brother and they often get quite excited at bedtime. I'm wondering if that's disturbing his sleep?

Thank you so much. Any thoughts welcome.

Offline HenaV

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
Re: 16 mth old - disturbed sleep & EW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:39:51 am »
Hey my lovely,

Ime 16-18m can be a but tricky re: sleep - a lot of developmental stuff going on. I wonder however whether it might be worth pushing the nap out towards 11.30am. If your LO doesn't handle OT OT change well move the nap in 15min increments. So first off move to 11.15 and hold for 3-5days and then to 11.30 and see how things settle?
What do you think?

Hena

Offline Dovely

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 19:40:18 pm »
Hi Hena,

Thanks for replying. I think you're right, he has been OT. I thought he was waking early because he was getting too much day time sleep so took him down to one sleep. Recently though he's had a few short disturbed sleeps for various reasons and he's got very tired. We're probably in that tricky bit when two sleeps is too much and one sleep isn't enough  :-\

He's now got a vomiting bug so I'm putting him back on two sleeps and early nights for a few days. I'll see what happens after that but I think he may well have been very OT lately.

Thanks again.