Author Topic: Night waking...stop feeding?  (Read 958 times)

Offline tina2401

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 21, 2014, 10:18:51 am »
Hi, my boy will be 4 months in 8 days. He changed alone to the 4 EASY Routine about 3 weeks ago. He usually wakes up at 9- 9:30 am  and goes to bed between 8- 8:30 pm…
9:15 - Wake up
9:30 Eat
10: Activity
11: Sleep
1: Wake up /Eat
1:30 Activity
4: Sleep
5:30 Eat
6: Activity
 If he eat at 5:30 I feed him again at 7:30 (kind of tanking up), so he does not go to bed with an empty tummy
10:30 dream feed

At the moment he takes two long naps one around 11- 11:30 for about 2 hours and one in the afternoon about   4- 4:30 pm for  1, 1 ½ hours. He does not have so much problems to fall asleep, he does mainly with his pacifier, I sing a little bit and then he will sleep. At night he cries a little bit more before going to bed, we put him his pajama and sleeping bag (we live in Germany and it is common here that baby used one) , them we said good night and sing to him and calm him down and he sleeps by himself (with the pacifier). I breastfeed   on both side each time.
My “problem” is that even if I gave the dream feed at 10:30 my boy will wake somewhere between 1:30 – 2:30 I have tried to him his pacifier but he wont take it and I finally gave up and feed him, he used to drink both sides at night, now he is only taking one and falling sleep and waking up again around 4:30 – 5:00 again hungry (at least I think he is hungry, because he emptied my breast)….So I am not sure what to do, should I stop feeding him at night and try some other method to put him back to sleep? So far I have only try with the pacifier, I do not want to try PU/PD yet because he is not 4 months old.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Night waking...stop feeding?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:49:10 am »
If he's hungry (you've said yourself you think he is) then just feed him at this age.  We had horrible night wakings in the run up to four months after LO sleeping though for he previous 6-7 weeks, and I just took the view that if it was at least 3-4h since the last feed (ie a normal feed interval) then I fed.  Otherwise I tried to resettle with shh pat.  There is a big growth spurt at four months and it is usual, especially for breastfed babies, to pick up another night feed or two and these often stay until after solids are well established.  Can you do a nappy change after he's fed the first side at the first waking, to wake him enough to take the second side too?  Might push him a little longer before needing the next feed?  But honestly a dreamfeed and two night feeds is well within the realms of normal at this age, exhausting as it is.  If you LO knows how to fall asleep alone then with time he should go back to sleeping longer stretches :)

Offline tina2401

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 14:34:49 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I think you  are right and it was my thought also to feed him, it is just that sometimes I get scared that I am doing some kind of accidental parenting or spoling him to fall asleep...And of course I also want to sleep longer stretches, but I cannot complain, I will be more patient!!

Thanks again . :)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Night waking...stop feeding?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:13:39 am »
How are things going?

Offline tina2401

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 15:55:05 pm »
 Well, he is still drinking at 2 and 5 am, but I kind of changed my actittuded and just fed him, thinking that if he needs all that milk is for one reason and that the time will come when he sleeps longer, I am right? ;-)

I am pretty sure that one of the problems is that he is still drinking only of one breast at 2 am, but he is such a good sleeper that even if I change him he wont wake up  :'(, but he does drink from both breasts (mostly) at 5 am and sleeps till 9 am, so I  can also stay at least till 8 in bed :-)